1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Controller needs Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paladin54, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paladin54

Paladin54 Thread Starter

I have a custom built computer with a ACPI motherboard. I had a situation where my hard drive was failing so I saved all my personal files and folders and installed a new hard drive. On install of the new hard drive I installed Windows XP Pro, SP3 from my disk and thought everything would be more or less back to normal. However the drivers for the Internal; HD Audio, Ethernet, PCI Serial Port, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, and Video Controller did not load. As a result I can not access the internet because the OS does not recognize that there is a NIC card.

I have the Hardware ID for all of these devices, and the Ethernet Controller is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_104A&SUBSYS_00018086. I did a Google search on another computer for this Hardware ID and found several sites that claim to provide the required Driver but what they actually provide is a program to find the driver. Without the driver these downloads are useless because any Driver Search will be for the computer I am running the program on, not the one that needs it! I hope that is clear.

Since all of the devices mentioned in the first paragraph are integrated with the Motherboard I thought maybe I could search for Drivers specific to the Motherboard Hardware ID, but that was no help either. Whatever happened to the old days when I simply went to the manufacturer's web site and downloaded the Driver I needed? Now everything seems to try and sell me something before I can even hope to find the Driver!

I need a functioning Ethernet Controller so first I need the Driver installed. Anybody know how to address this issue? Thank you for any help or suggestions you may have.

2. replay

replay

Make/model of motherboard???
    It is not acpi.....I doubt

3. Paladin54

Paladin54 Thread Starter

The Motherboard may be from Intel but the only information I have that I am certain of is from the Device Manager. Under "Computer" in Device Manager I have ACPI Multiprocessor PC with the Device Instance ID as ROOT\ACPI_HAL\0000 and the HArdware ID as acpiapic_mp. I assumed this was an identifier for the Motherboard but I know I should never assume.

4. replay

replay

If it is a intel board.....it should have the model number on it

5. Paladin54

Paladin54 Thread Starter

There may well be a model number and manufacturer name somewhere on the Motherboard but is not apparent. I do see the word Intel stenciled on the board but with everything attached finding a model number is out of the question. I am certainly not going to pull out the cooling fans, RAM, PCI boards, etc. to maybe find a model number.

6. replay

replay

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want help, then you need to find out the exact model of mb you have installed. Open the case and give the board a good look; the model# should be silkscreened on the board. Once you know the model# it is a simple procedure to download the driver

Note a windows install should be done in the following order;
    1 Install the os
    2 Update to the latest service pack [not needed if your install disk already has the latest sp]
    3 Install chipset/mb drivers
    4 Install sound, nic/lan drivers as necessary
    5 Install video driver
    6 If all is well, then activate windows. Now make a backup image of your system drive. Store this on a second hd, NAS, external drive, etc. If you ever need a clean install in the future, it takes all of 5min to restore the image. Clean install done.

Now do windows update and install ALL critical updates. Repeat until there are no more updates to install.

Failure to install in the above order often results in drivers not configuring correctly.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice