1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Controller on Acer Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Squash92, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Squash92

Squash92 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a Acer Travelmate 4202WLMi that I just recently reformatted with windows xp professional.
    I am unable to get the ethernet controller working no matter what I do. I have tried to use the hardware wizard a dozen times to find the drivers with no success. I know I have the right drivers it just isn't working.
    I also installed the chipset drivers before anything else, just to clear that out of the way.
    I don't know what to do at this point. I have tried multiple installs of windows xp.
    Thanks for the help.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. Squash92

Squash92 Thread Starter

Okay,
    Well it is a part of the Acer Travelmate 4200 series.
    When I go to device manager, all it shows is yellow for no driver for the ethernet controller. I have tried a dozen different drivers and none of them will install with this ethernet controller.
    Upon further inspection using some other tools, all it says is that it is a Broadcom ethernet controller, with no other information.

I I already went to Broadcom's website and have tried to load drivers with no success.

I work with computers as a job, but this one seems to stump me. Yes I have checked the bios for controlling the NIC's as well. I see no option for enabling or disabling ethernet.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You get the driver for the ethernet controller from Acer's web site.

5. Squash92

Squash92 Thread Starter

there is no driver for an ethernet controller on acer's website...

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

It's labeled "Lan" after you travel the PC/OS path beginning at the link daz1 gave.

EDIT: Screen shot now attached.

Attached Files:

7. Squash92

Squash92 Thread Starter

I already tried that driver as well as different versions off of the Broadcom website.

8. huggie54

huggie54

hiya have you tried getting the drivers by obtaining the VEN_ & DEV_ Nos, is your ethernet controller listed in Add/Remove

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

There's a high probability that the NIC, or the part of the motherboard to which it connects, is defective.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/943011