1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Controller

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by garystan, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

Hi everybody :
    My System : Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, 500 Gb Hard Drive, 3GB RAM.
    GIGABYTE GA-z77-ds3h Mootherboard
    Recently, my NVidia video died. I (safely) removed it. Then I had video on my monitor. But, I lost internet connection. I tried using the GIGABYTE Motherboard disk to re-install the Ethernet drivers. At first, I got the error message stating that it couldn't find the Ethernet Controller. So, I did a total re-install of Windows 7. But, I couldn't FORMAT the Hard Drive. So, apparently, this re-install just overwrote the previous install. Still the internet icon was red. I found (on the GIGABY.TE disk) the RealTek drivers. Apparentlly, I found the correct driver......but it referenced that a cable was unplugged. NOYE: When I tried to format the Hard Drive, I got the error message that I couldn't FORMAT the Hard Drive because it was in use. I went into MANAGEMENT but the FORMAT option was greyed out. In the Device Manager I had to select SHOW HIDDEN ITEMS (I forget the exact wording), and NETWORKING DID show . But, I couldn't install the Ethernet Drivers. In BIOS the LAN (switch) was ENABLED. Until I'm able to get my PC to the Geek Squad, I'm trying to figure this out. Advice ? garystan

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably the ethernet died. Try using a USB ethernet adapter.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I should have added above that buying a USB ethernet adapter is less inconvenient than taking a desktop computer anywhere. And unless you are paying Best Buy a ton of money for some "warranty" contract the adapter will be considerably less expensive than any repair bill, even if some repair is possible.

4. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

TerryNet :
    Thanks for your reply. Greatly appreciated .
    This USB Ethernet Adapter will "over-ride" the Ethernet chip on my Motherboard, correct ? In other words, the same way a video card will be used instead of the "onboard" video, right ? I'll be using the USB Ethernet adapter on my Desktop.
    garystan

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Disable the integrated ethernet in BIOS or Device Manager to assure it doesn't cause any problem.

6. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

Hi everybody :
    I have another question about USB Ethernet Adapters. Even though the Ethernet Controller on my Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Motherboard is "dead", I can still connect to the internet using a USB Ethernet Adapter, correct ? My System : Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, 500 Gb Hard Drive, 3 Gb RAM. garystan

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes a Usb Ethernet adapter should work fine.

You could fit an internal Ethernet Network card instead but that means opening the case.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    The internal card could be faster than a Usb adapter. What download speed are/were you getting ?

9. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

managed :
    Sorry about being so repetitive. So.....the internal card would "over-ride the Ethernet Controller ( the same way a video card would over-ride the onboard video) Even though the Ethernet Controller IS dead, correct ? garystan

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just disable the integrated adapter in the BIOS or Device Manager and don't worry about any interference.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes do as Terry said and your computer won't know the integrated adapter exists.

Do you know what speed your internet is ?

12. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

managed :
    Unfortunately, I don't know what my speed is. Sorry. garystan

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's ok. I remembered I actually have a Usb Ethernet adapter so I tried it and the connection was quite slow. Mind you it was a very cheap one ! That's why I mentioned an internal card might be faster.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I once had a USB 1.1 (12 Mbps) to Ethernet 10 Mbps adapter. Call it slow, but I still got my full 2 Mbps internet speed. :D

I now have a USB 3.0 (5 Gbps?) to Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps) adapter. Handles my 60 - 80 Mbps current internet speed.

My point: not all USB ethernet adapters have the same specs.

15. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

Hi everybody :
    I'm still having this problem. I just purchased an Insignia USB Ethernet Adapter. Installed the drivers. Did al the connections. And I just have limited internet access. Apparently, USB Ethernet Adapters don't work I'm going to try an Ethernet Adapter Card. Hopefully, that'll work. P.S. I don't know how to configure a USB Adapter. garystan

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice