1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Controller?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by themeat, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. themeat

themeat Thread Starter

I just had to reformat both two computers in my house, and I've got the same problem with both of them.

After the reformat (one was reformatted, on the other Windows was just reinstalled, but the problem is the same) I go into hardware from the control panel and "Network Adapter" has the yellow question mark next to it, and it's sitting in "Other Devices".

I went into my system information on one of the PCs, then Components > Network > Adapter and under name I see "[00000002] RAS Async Adapter". So I figured that this is what I was going to need the drivers for, but alas, it's impossible to find them ANYWHERE on the internet.

What can I do guys?

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

You need to find out exactly what modem is installed in your PC. Then you need to download the drivers for that modem. I'm guessing you bought both with the OS already installed from the same people, and they used the same really cheap, non-brand name modem for both machines.

There are sites out there to help identify the modem and what drivers to use. I can't remember any off the top of my head though. I usually start at google...

Edit: Ok, I'm confused. You asked about an ethernet adapter, but ethernet is definitely not an Async device. Modems are Async devices. Maybe the OS is confused about the card type? In either case, if it is an ethernet device, we still need to identify it and download the appropriate drivers.

3. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Is this for an on-board nic? or a pci card? If its a pci card, search (starting with manufacturers site) for the drivers/installers.

If its an onboard nic... Goto board manufactuer site search on the model of mobo... Look for the drivers. Unless its a gateway or compaq or something like that. Then you should goto their site first. They often use custom bios and drivers. Sometimes the mobo manu drivers don't work.

4. themeat

themeat Thread Starter

Ok guys, a little more progress has been made. I contacted the store and the guy told me to go the model of my mobo (Intel D865GBF) and download the drivers for it. I looked around, but I couldn't find any drivers that were the solution to my problem... if you guys could, it's be much appreciated.

5. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

goto www.intel.com
    click on support/downloads. goto downloads. type "D865GBF" in the box. click ok. click link for "IntelĀ® Desktop Board D865GBF ", select your version of windows... Under the drivers heading, clikc on "6. Integrated LAN Driver [PRO_V8.0_65293_WIN2KXP.EXE] (31944KB)" download it. Install it.

6. themeat

themeat Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. Should I uninstall the bad entry for the Ethernet Controller in system first?

7. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

If you are on XP/2k, just install it.

Also, that file should have a readme in it...

8. themeat

themeat Thread Starter

Ok lads, fixed the problem. One more little question.

I ahdve another device with a little yellow question mark next to it, but this one says "SM Bus Controller"... what do I do to get the drivers for that installed?

9. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Hrm... Not 100% on this... but it might be the "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (INF)" drivers from the same site. (chipset drivers for agp, usb, etc)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice