Ethernet Coupler

cordeiro

Hi!
I have recently purchased an ethernet cable for my laptop (Category 8) and I am very impressed with it. I have a much faster Internet. Have ordered another one as it is a bit short. I have an ethernet coupler which I noticed showing Category 6. Is it okay to use it to connect the two cables up? I noticed I couldn't find an ethernet coupler on the Internet for a category 8 cable. I think you can only purchase a coupler up to Category 7. I did read category 6 and 7 couplers are compatible. Thanks for any advice. Cordeiro

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If your LAN speed isn't faster than 1 Gig, you're fine using the Cat 6 coupler.

As an aside, going to a higher grade Category cabling will NOT make your Internet speed faster. Each Category rating has a certain spec which involves what a cable rated for a certain Category level will perform. This is involves specs as how high a signal frequency the cable will support along with how much crosstalk, etc. If replacing your previous cable with this particular Category 8 cabling resulted in better performance, your old cable was probably faulty.

cordeiro

If your LAN speed isn't faster than 1 Gig, you're fine using the Cat 6 coupler.

As an aside, going to a higher grade Category cabling will NOT make your Internet speed faster. Each Category rating has a certain spec which involves what a cable rated for a certain Category level will perform. This is involves specs as how high a signal frequency the cable will support along with how much crosstalk, etc. If replacing your previous cable with this particular Category 8 cabling resulted in better performance, your old cable was probably faulty.
Hi! I just checked the speed but am unsure what they all mean. I have windows 10 and went through settings which showed a speed of 144/72 mbps. Also did a speed test through the Internet which shows download mbps 8.32 and upload mbps 43.88 mbps. Then there was a circle showing 46.66 mbps. Is my LAN speed not fasther than 1 Gig? Thanks, cordeiro

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It's unclear to me how you're getting these speed numbers and in reference to what. 144/72 tells me that you're connected via wireless even though we're talking about wired cabling. The speed test you did is a data transfer test between your computer and a server on the Internet. Depending on where you are and what plan you get from your ISP, 1Gbps up and down is probably the fastest you can get for residential service. In general, any Internet/WAN type circuit/service will typically be slower than what you're running in your LAN. With that in mind, when you do a speed test with a server on the Internet, you're constrained by how fast your ISP service is and not actually fully stress testing your LAN. The only way to test your LAN performance is to do a data transfer between two devices on your LAN; keeping in mind that the hardware of each device is going to influence the final outcome.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cat 8 cable has a much smaller length limitation. That's probably why you don't see couplers.
https://www.sfcable.com/blog/cat-7-vs-cat-8-cables-difference

If the cat 8 cable is too short, buy a cat 7 cable.
You're misunderstanding the information in the link you've provided. The discussion of the shorter cabling length of Category 8 cabling is in reference to supporting 25 and 40 Gbps transmission speeds which is 30 meters on Category 8. Probably the reason why there are no Category 8 couplers is that it will probably not provide a consistent 2000MHz of error free transmission. The same principles apply to fiber cabling. Couplers exist for fiber but are not recommended due to the potential for scatter and reflection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online