Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethernet Desktop faster than wireless laptop

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Guys,

I am not the sharpest computer person but I do know how to get around my computers. My problem is my Netgear DGN2000 is hooked up and the ethernet cable is running into my desktop with XP. The "Local Area Connection" says 100Mbps into the router.

The problem is the desktop is getting speeds of .60 Mbps download & .40 upload. My wireless laptop and another that uses the wireless connection & Windows 7, are getting about 3.0 Mbps, but sometimes really slow as well.

I know how to get into the router settings and just wondered if something might be set wrong? I have gone into the browser and reset and updated the firmware of the router. Still confused about why it is running so slow. I called the ISP but of course they say it is the computer. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Hello! Welcome to TSG!

Be sure you are not confusing Mbps and MBps. There is a huge difference. I am trying to understand where you are coming from so bear with me. This will solve quickly what your true speeds are.

Please go here http://www.speedtest.net/ and do tests on both the Desktop and Laptop. You can post a screen shot or jot down the info. I would do atleast 3 tests to 3 different servers from both computers to get a good average. I think you are simply confusing megabits and megabytes :) Download speeds also vary too where they are coming from and the path that they are taking along the internet back/bone. With speed test you can get a good roundabout number.

If you do not mind posting your results and we can further advise you.

#4 ·
Also understand too that the 100Mbps is the speed of the wire, not your actual connection speed.

#5 ·
Pedroguy - Sorry I did confuse you with the title. My etehrnet cabled desktop (running XP) is slower than than wireless laptop (running Win 7).

So that being said I did run another set of tests on speedtest.net. Again the desktop came in at 0.31 Mbps down. The laptop came in at 3.87 Mbps. So I am still confused on how the cabled desktop continues to run so slow.

Both computers have Norton 360 up and running. I did run scans on the desktop with the Norton and Windows Defender but nothing.

Any thoughts why that desktop is so slow?

#6 ·
I'm not sure you want both Norton 360 and Windows Defender running at the same time, but Windows Defender is so useless that it probably doesn't matter.

Try your speedtest on the desktop in Safe Mode with Networking. If that's also bad, make sure you have the latest driver for the ethernet (from the PC or motherboard manufacturer if it is integrated). Try the laptop connected to the router with the same cable as the desktop is using.

#7 ·
In the above you said the desktop came in at 3.87.Assume that was the laptop.
So,was it always this way?
If not,what software/hardware was added/changed?
A couple of things you might do to eliminate some basic things.
Download from the pc makers web site any updated drivers for you lan adapter.
Download any firmware updates for your router.
Have you wired the pc directly to the modem?
Will require a power on reset of the modem.Turn it off,plug the pc in .
When you plug the router back in,same procedure is to be followed.

#8 ·
I've noticed if you use any kind of torrent a lot it will suck up all your bandwidth. With that being said my question is, do you use any kind of bit torrent or do a lot of downloading?

Even if you don't this is something I would give a shot.

#1 Turn off all you computers.
#2 Unplug your modem, router and coaxial cable.
#3 Let sit for about 2-3 mins
#4 In this order plug all your devices back in
a.coaxial cable
b.modem, wait for all your lights to come on
c.router
#5 Turn your computers back on
#6 Open up Command prompt ( on the computer thats having issues)
#7 Type in; ipconfig /flushdns
#8 Type in; ipconfig /release
#9 Type in; ipconfig /renew
#10 Run a speed test again.

If that doesn't work we can go from there. These are some basic things you can try, if you haven't tried them already.

#9 ·
Perdroguy - Yes I was speaking of the laptop running at 3.87 and edited it in the thread.

1) I looked for updated drivers but I seem to be up to date.
2) I did plug the ethernet cable into the laptop and the speed on the laptop dropped to the same as the desktop was running about 0.38 Mbps

I also did as Teh said and rebooted and flushed the DNS but nothing. So now my assumption is that it must be either in the ethernet cable or some type of bottleneck from the modem/router. I am using a combo Netgear DGN2000 ADSL modem/router. I do not have another ethernet cable at home or I would try right away. Thoughts?

#10 ·
Well:Obviously the best thing to try would be another cable,but:
You could plug the cable directly into the modem.Follow Teh's checklist as far as power on/ power off of modem and pc..
See if the speed of the pc changes.
If it does,we are probably dealing with a router issue.
If not,probably the cable.

#11 ·
Yep, definitely sounds like the cable or the ethernet part of the router. If it doesn't turn out to be the cable you can try updating the router firmware, and then resetting the modem/router to factory default settings and reconfigure it. If you do, make sure you know how to configure it before upgrading firmware or reset to factory defaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.