1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved "Ethernet" does not have a valid IP configuration.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by oneSorcerer, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer Thread Starter

Got a new modem/router combo from xfinity today activation went pretty smoothly but I have no internet on my main computer. It seems unable to identify the network (wired connection). Internet works fine on my other computers, including this one, which is also wired. Using the windows troubleshooter on the adapter shows "'Ethernet' doesn't have a valid IP configuration"

I've tried several things like resetting the adapter, uninstalling and reinstalling it, flushing my dns from command and trying different ports in the router. All the same results, no idea. As always any help is immensely appreciated.

2. oneSorcerer

My WiFi devices are also saying that. I'm going to get back in contact with my isp.

3. oneSorcerer

I rebooted the modem once more, and the computer I have internet on switched. This one now has normal internet and the one I was using before is "does not have valid IP configuration"

If I do ipconfig /renew it will tell me "An error occured while renewing interface Ethernet 3 : unable to contact your DHCP server"

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    To confirm, your computers are using DHCP?

5. oneSorcerer

Yes they are.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    try an ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew in command prompt and see if it will pull a new IP.

edit: I see that you have the issue on both wired and wireless connections then it may be a router issue. Did you do a factory reset the modem?

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    oneSorcerer likes this.
  7. oneSorcerer

I figured it out. Of course it was something stupid. These new modem/router gateways have a "Bridge mode" so that you can use your own router if you want to, and apparently it disabled all the ports but 1 and the wifi. For some reason it shipped with bridge mode enabled by default (Which honestly makes me think that it isn't new...). Setting changed and another reboot and everything seems to be working properly. I shouldn't be surprised that comcast's tech support had no idea what the problem was. Time to cancel tomorrow's appointment lol. :D

Hopefully this is good info if you guys get another person with this issue in the future.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    That makes no sense it was in bridge mode.... but that would make sense because your ISP will have 1 IP to the device that gets it.... haha

oneSorcerer likes this.
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice