1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tsaikat, Oct 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tsaikat

tsaikat Thread Starter

Suddenly, this problem appeared.
    It shows "identifying..."
    and while i run the diagnosis it shows "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration"
    I tried with static IP address > No result
    I tried ipconfig release,flushdns, renew
    but while i run Ipconfig /renew it gives me an error saying "An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server, Request has timed out."

What's weird is that, the same Ethernet cable works on another computer.
    Also, the same computer that i'm having problem with works on the ports of another room.

At this point I'm clueless what to do.

I'd highly appreciate some help on this.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Do you have any internet security like Norton or McAfee?

3. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Try to download the latest driver for the device onto a USB stick etc. Then uninstall all software/drivers associated with the device. Finally, in Device Manager, rightclick the device and click uninstall. When prompted to delete the associated answer "Yes".

Reboot and install the drivers previously downloaded to the USB.

4. cidcd

cidcd

i had the same problem yesterday, try cleaning the plug that isn't working, dust can block a connection, if not that the plug might be damaged

5. tsaikat

tsaikat Thread Starter

@Couriant - I had AVG, I uninstalled it. No result.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    AVG Internet Security?

7. tsaikat

tsaikat Thread Starter

@Couriant
    Yes . Business edition (if that's important)
    Today i realized that I have another computer in the server started having same problem

8. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    Hi, It does sound in part that your DHCP server is having issues giving out IP address or that PC is not on the same network as the device that is giving out the IP address ( Router or Server ).

1) Do you know what device is giving out the IP address, I would expect a Router or a Server. If you can try and restart the device to see if that restarts the DHCP server.
    2) Can you get the PC plugged into a spare port on the router, if the router is giving out the IP addreses or on the same switch as the server if it a server that is giving out the IP address and see if you can get a net IP address
    3) Try and use a different ethernet cable, just in case..
    4) If you can try and do an IPCONFIG /renew on a device that is working will prove if the DHCP Server is working, as you said that another device is starting ot have the same issue, as the IP address only have a defined period before it has to check back in.

Hope this helps

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  10. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Like @imstewart said "It seems like a DHCP issue. In my oinion more of a DNS issue. So, as imstewart said. FInd out where the DHCP server resides. Typically that would be in the router. Unless you have a Active Directory role installed. THen you may also have the DHCP installed. Check the scope for address availability. Check the DNS settings passed on to the clients.
    If the server servers DHCP clients make sure that the IP of the server is set as DNS #1 and a publuc DNS server, such as Google's are set as DNS #2 I believe that ip is "8.8.8.8."
    But first, restart both router and server. WHich would reset the DHCP server regardless of where it is and should clear unused DHCP leases.

EDIT: Make sure that both IP's and DNS settings are set to be obtained automatically on the stations.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice