Solved "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Red0mitch

I moved my desktop to a new location with a new router. I am connected to the router through an ethernet cable. As far as I can tell the cable is not damaged, and other devices such as phones can connect wirelessly just fine. When I run Windows Troubleshooter, it comes up with "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration". I've tried doing a few online suggestions but to no avail. When I run ipconfig in admin command prompt, there is no Default Gateway, and no Connection-specific DNS suffix.

Any help? Thanks!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3

Processor Count: 4

RAM: 8120 Mb

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, -2048 Mb

Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (30 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free); F: 931 GB (304 GB Free);

Motherboard: MSI, H87-G43 (MS-7816)

Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

open a command prompt window. type in 'ipconfig /all' . Copy and paste the result into your reply

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (30 GB Free)
Not to change the subject, but you need to do something about your primary C: drive being 97% full.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Red0mitch

open a command prompt window. type in 'ipconfig /all' . Copy and paste the result into your reply
Windows IP Configuration

Host name :DOMS_PC
Primary DNA Suffix :
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet

Connectionp-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical address: (I'm assuming I should probably leave this out)
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Link Local IPv6 Address: fe80::a5a8:cb35:bd6a:91af%3(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.145.175(Preferred)
Subset Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:
DHCPv6 IAID: 64241022
DHCPv6 Client DUID: 00-01-00-01-1C-49-94-7C-D4-3D-7E-F1-57-40

DNS Servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{CBC73277-51CD-4436-AB92-5584149A6956}:

Media State:Media Disconnected
Connection-specific DNS suffix:
Description: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address: (hidden again)
DHCP Enabled: No
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

Not to change the subject, but you need to do something about your primary C: drive being 97% full.

Yeah I'm working on this, that's why I have the 2nd F: Drive.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Yeah I'm working on this, that's why I have the 2nd F: Drive.
It's starting to get full too - 68% ;)

I'll leave you with lunarlander. (y)

Right click on your networking icon in the systray. Choose 'Open network and internet settings' . Then click on 'Change adapter settings' . Right click on the ethernet icon and choose Properties. Click on TCP/IPv4 and click on Properties button. Choose the radio button 'Obtain an ip address automatically' and the radio button 'Obtain DNS server automatically' . That should retrieve an ip address from the router DHCP server, and you will be all set to go.

Last edited:

Red0mitch

Hi sorry for not getting back, been away for Christmas, just tried it now after getting back and this hasn't worked.

Last edited:
Check your router - how many ip's can DHCP give out ? Some people limit the number to the machines/devices they have, maybe your number is too low.

Red0mitch

I'm not sure. It's a semi temporary set up anyway, so I've just set up tethering on my phone, and I get a decent connection enough with that. Thanks for the help anyways

Couriant

James
Basically your computer is not getting an IP address from the router. It's possible that the router is not set to give out an IP address.

Is this an office location, or home?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online