Ethernet Doesn't Work After Startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tunga

I recently had some problems with my on board ethernet where it was locking up my entire system. This was eventually pinned down and I put an SMC PCI Ethernet 10/100 Card into my machine which fixed the problem.

However I've had a different problem ever since. Whenever I boot (or reboot) my computer, the Ethernet connection doesn't work for a good one to two minutes after start up. No amount of attempting to disable/re-enable the connection, or using that Windows Repair My connection thing will fix this and I just have to wait. Windows says it is connected but it doesn't work and then after a mintue or so it says the connection is disconncted, then it reconnects within a second or two and then will it work.

After this the connection is perfectly stable until the next time I start Windows. Also I don't have this problem on my brother's computer which connects to the same 4-port router.

Are there any Windows / software settings I can try changing before I try swapping it out for another Ethernet card?

Most of this probably isn't relevant but I'll list it all anyway...
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
1GB DDR 2700
Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 128MB
Windows XP Home
Mentor 4-Port ADSL Router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts