1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet doesn't work but router work.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bao, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bao

Bao Thread Starter

I have no idea what happened, when I try to connect the modem directly to the PC, it give me "No Connectivity". But when I connect the modem through the router, it work! :confused:

ipconfig/all

Modem connect directly pic
    [​IMG]

Modem through router pic
    [​IMG]

2. jmwills

jmwills

What tyoe of modem do you have? Some DSL modems are just that, a modem that you have to manuualy configure the connection by creating it. They offer no firewall services.
    When you connect thru the router to the modem, that is done for you on the setup page with your user ID and password for the service.

3. Bao

Bao Thread Starter

Actually my services is DHCP, so I don't need to enter ID and PW. I have "SpeedStream 5200 - B"

Edit: I've been using that modem for a year now and it never have that problem.

4. vipernet

vipernet

the modem to the PC should have a Cross over cable, probably your problem.

5. jmwills

jmwills

I know that you have to "manually" configure the connection and receive DHCP. ALL DSL connections require that since the connection to the ISP is based on your phone number.
    Somewhere is this sequence you have to enter your username and password for the ISP.
    A crossover cable is not needed and would only be used in a PC to PC connection.

6. ViprXX

ViprXX

jmwills is correct in that a crossover cable is not needed. Are you turning the power off then on again after connecting? if not then try that. If that still doesn't work try resetting the dsl modem via the pinhole on the back of it(read dsl modems manual on resetting). you may need to re-enter your ISP username and password after resetting the modem. or if your ISP provided a cd just run it and enter username and password to setup.

good luck

7. Mark20

Mark20

Sounds like a MAC error like ViprXX said power off the modem and repower and I think that should sort your problem

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice