Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethernet doesn't work, but wireless does

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I've been having some problems with my ethernet for the past few days. The computers hooked up to wireless routers are fine, so it's not a problem within the computer. However, when I hook up an ethernet cable to the modem, there's a "limited to no connectivity" message on my computer, and when i click to repair it mentions something about the IP adress. My Xbox 360, which is also dependent with the ethernet cable, says basically the same thing when i run tests on that. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

#2 ·
When you switch from one device to another connected to a modem you almost always have to unplug the modem during the change. Are you doing so?

Try connecting your computer to one router via ethernet and wirelessly and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

#3 ·
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
Make/model of the broadband modem. If dial-up, please specify.
Make/model of the router (if any).
Connection type, wired, wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

#4 ·
yeah, that's what i've done each time i switch it.

here's what i got from the command prompt:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Bryan>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BRYAN
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapt
er
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-5B-89-D0-86

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapt
er
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-BF-76-09-64
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.73
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:13:28
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:13:2
8 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Bryan>

I live in the US, and my isp is from SBC Yahoo DSL. The router is a 2wire 2701. All of the computers that are being affected by this is Windows XP, 2nd edition.

#5 ·
Well, multiple computers are affected, so it's a common failure point. It's almost got to be the router, since the wireless section still works.

I'd suggest doing a power cycle on the router and see if that helps. If not, it's time to do a factory reset and reconfigure it and see if that helps.

Personally, I think the router just bit the dust, there's very little left to test.

#7 ·
A power cycle is just unplugging the router for 15 seconds or so. A factory reset is normally a recessed reset button somewhere on the unit, and that gets held down for 15 seconds or more with power on.

If the simple power cycle doesn't work, I'd call the ISP if they provided the router, since resetting it "may" knock out your connection completely, depending on exactly how it's configured. I'd hate to be responsible for that. :) The problem here is that you can't connect with a wired connection to reconfigure it! :D

#8 ·
i did both, to no avail.

the weird thing is, this is a very new 2wire modem..i got this in July when the first modem died out. i just dont understand it. and i contacted the ip provider and they said it wasnt a problem with the modem, since wireless connections are able to connect to it. its very confusing and fustrating and i don't know what else to do at this point.

is there anything else i could do when configurating the modem?

#9 ·
"... they said it wasnt a problem with the modem, since wireless connections are able to connect to it."

Their logic is flawed. From the User Guide, "The 2Wire gateway includes a variety of home networking technologies in one box: Ethernet, direct USB, and HyperG wireless."

The wireless working proves that the wireless is working. It does not prove that the ethernet or USB is working!

Electrical surges have fried the ethernet on other routers this summer while leaving the routers partially functioning. Maybe the ethernet adapters in all your computers were similarly fried at once, but I'm voting with John on this--the ethernet part of the router is not working. If you can, try a computer on ethernet elsewhere before rejoining the fight with your ISP.

#10 ·
would my xbox count in this situation? it connects to the router in the same way that the computers do, and it's displaying the same symptoms of my computer. they were blaming my computer for the problem but i don't think it is at this point. i also, just to be sure, changed the wires, to no result.

#11 ·
I'll bet the Ethernet switch is dead, and I'll give you odds. Nothing Ethernet connects, and the wireless still works. If you had a single computer failing, I'd buy it wasn't the 2WIRE.

Can you find someone with a laptop with a KNOWN WORKING Ethernet port to bring it over and try to connect? That would be the definitive test. You also mention "computers" in the plural, can you try a totally different computer with a wired connection to the router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.