1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet - Hub OR Switch!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by emac921, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emac921

emac921 Thread Starter

Another thought for changing my network for printer only sharing.

All things being equal, which hardware item will be better for printer sharing - Hub or Switch. I don't want to have to redo my cabling.

I understand a hub or switch will change the direction internally, so I don't have to buy any cross-over patch cables, but just plug each computer in to the hub or switch - right?

The other alternative is to buy a second cheap printer, but that entails cartridge additions at a later date.

Comments please. . .

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Your printer won't connect directly to a hub or a switch. It'll connect to one of the computers, and then you'll have to set up printer sharing.

If you already have a functioning network where computers can see each other and share files, then just connect the printer to one of the computers and share it across the network.

3. emac921

emac921 Thread Starter

I am now using a router because of a Cable ISP hookup. My printer is on unit "A" and can be accessed by Unit "B".

When I change to a dial up I need to be able to have printer sharing from A to B, however I was told I had to have a cross-over cable for this to work.

Can I change one patch cable from straight-thru to cross-over at Unit "A". Will that give me the capability to have printer sharing.

My set-up is;
    Unit "A" NIC
    6' Straight-thru patch cable to Wall Plate
    Wall Plate to 60" over attic (straight-thru) to another Wall Plate
    Wall Plate thru 15' straight-thru patch cord to Unit "B" NIC

My understanding is I will have to have a cross-over because of hooking up puter to puter, no longer thru the router.

Comments!

4. pthres

pthres

Your understanding is correct, because you have no switch or hub within this chain one of the patch leads will have to be a crossovr, MAX19 is both correct and incorrect depending on what printer you have, if this is just a general small office / home printer then he is correct but, however if this printer has network capabilities as mine does then you will need a hub/switch and your cable config can stay the same.

5. knologseeker

knologseeker

You would need a Crossover Cable from one NIC to the other. You apparently have 3 cable lengths so No, you cannot just change one of the cables to crossover cable and accomplish the print sharing. you would have to change them all.

Another Option:

I think you can accomplish what you are trying to do with a simple hub.

For example, you could use:

one piece of cable to connect COMPUTER A to the HUB:

then another cable from HUB to the WALL PLATE

you already have one from WALL PLATE to WALL PLATE

then another from the other WALL PLATE to COMPUTER B.

Then you can use FILE AND PRINT SHARING through your Microsoft network.

If I counted right that would mean 4 lengths of cable but not crossover cable.

Hope I understood the Q correctly and I hope I did not leave out anything.

6. emac921

emac921 Thread Starter

I have all the cables you speak of - they are ALL straight-thru, so
    I only need a hub?? OR switch??

7. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Just connect the printer to one of your computers, and set up file and print sharing to share it accross the network. You have all the equipment you need.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice