1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet is not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NormalUsername, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NormalUsername

NormalUsername Thread Starter

My ethernet is not working but my wifi on the same computer is working(using wifi to post this). I attached an image of my resource monitor it shows me trying to download. The weird part is sometimes it goes up to my normal speed(32mb/s) for like 4 seconds and then it drops to not working at all and when I try to load a website I have to refresh a few times and pray.

I tried connecting the wire to my laptop (same wire and wall port) and it works fine. I ran malwarebytes and found one threat but the problem was not solved. I ran it again a few more time and it says I don't have anything else.

I have no idea what's (kinda computer noob) going on so any help would help.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't provide any descriptions of your laptop and desktop and which Windows version they're running.

A wired ethernet connection is working okay in your laptop, but not in your desktop?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. NormalUsername

sorry about that, both devices are using windows 10 my desktop's ethernet connection doesn't work or is very slow but to test if it was my desktop that had the problem and not the wire I plugged in my laptop with the same wire and it worked fine. my laptop is just a regular lenovo y70 and my desktop was custom built less than 6 months ago (the motherboard is asus prime z270-p if that helps)

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS PRIME Z270-P
    According to its specs, it has an integrated Realtek RTL8111H gigabit ethernet device.

It's possible the ethernet port has gone bad and requires installing a PCI Express x1 ethernet card to replace it.
    When the ethernet cable is connected to the ethernet port, does the connection icon in the taskbar have a red X or yellow triangle with ! over it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. NormalUsername

no it sometimes (25% of the time) works but barely and really slow like 10kbps and there is no X or ! over it

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What download/upload speed plan do you have with your Internet Service Provider?

Try connecting the ethernet cable to a different ethernet port in your modem/router.

You may need to make one or more setting changes in the ethernet device's properties window in the Device Manager.

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1198734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice