Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethernet no longer working

964 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
i have a verizon MI424WR router (on the first floor). i have a netgear GS308v3 switch (basement). my pc is on the second floor. what happened about 2 years ago is that i finally got my dream pc and obviously needed ethernet. the ports in my room did not work. i called a local pc shop and they came and told me the panel in which we were using was old and out dated and installed the netgear switch (seen in the photos below). those wires go up through the wall into the router room on the first floor. i was able to connect my pc via ethernet cable to the ethernet port in my bedroom perfectly fine. it's been great since that day 2 years ago, never a single problem. thursday night we got hit by a huge storm and our internet went out. they just came out today to fix it (for the love of god never rely on verizon's customer service). the guy managed to fix the wifi, promised the ethernet was working too, and left. i wasn't able to check the ethernet as i wasn't home. i am the only person in my household who uses the ethernet. well. he didn't fix it. i have tried everything. it says "unidentified network" with no network access. i tried releasing and renewing my ip. i tried turning off my firewall (windows). i tried resetting all my network adaptors. i uninstalled and reinstalled my network card. nothing has worked. i need my pc for monday for work and verizon made us sit on hold for 90 minutes just to tell us they are closed for the day. the pc shop i mentioned before isnt open until monday. i dont know what the verizon guy did or didn't do. they said he went into both the basement (where the box pictured below is) and the office (where the router is). i am pretty good with pc stuff but the actual networking/cable has me confused. most guides assume that everything is next to each other, where that isn't the case for me since they are on 2 totally different floors.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

I don't see any LAN lights lit on the Verizon device in your 3rd photo. I'd've expected a connection from there to the Netgear switch. Check the wiring in that section. I'll bet that if you were to connect directly to the Verizon device you'd get your access. Not sure how easy that may be actually do. It sounds like the Netgear switch is no longer wired.

#3 ·
i had a feeling it had to do with the router as there was no LAN lights on it...are you saying to try to plug an ethernet cord directly into the back of the router into my PC? if that's the case i can't as they are on separate floors. i dont see any other wires around the router area that could be plugged into it. i'm not too sure on the networking side of things since they are all on different floors/wired through the walls. I'll take a second look at it though, thank you!

#4 ·
I believe you need a cable between the router and the switch. It must be there somewhere. Is there anything plugged into the back of the router (in a LAN port)?

#6 ·
hi guys,

I agree with both of you but the way the router is sitting makes it difficult to check. it’s sitting on a built in bookcase with a very small hole where all of the wires are coming out of…I’m assuming I’ll be looking for a green wire as those are the ones going into the switch in the basement? I wonder why the Verizon tech unplugged it and would shove it back down the hole and label it fixed…never trusting their techs again

#8 ·
I hope he did not shove it back down the hole! That could prove to be a nightmare to retrieve! As James indicated, without seeing the setup and environment, it is hard for us to say with any degree of certainty.

#9 ·
i spent some time unscrewing the plate for the plug behind the book case and was able to see the green wire (which im 95% sure is the one for the switch) is bridged into the back of port like the one shown below. the port pictured is NOT the one in question, just another one in my house as i am unable to access one in question at the moment. they are exactly the same. behind this port is a bridge with both the Ethernet and wifi connection bridged into the one data port it looks like? meaning…they are both bridged into the one blue Ethernet cable coming up and into the back of the Verizon router. so it looks like it has been this way for a long time. im assuming this is how it was prior to the tech who was here as he was not here long enough to do all of this. so I guess im stuck again - however i did go into the router configuration settings through the browser and noticed it said the “hardware Ethernet switch” was disconnected via coax/Ethernet cable. im not sure WHICH cables because there are a few in the basement and a few in the office where the router is. I guess ill have to double check that they are in properly? but then it doesn’t quite make sense to me if the wifi and Ethernet are bridged together, why would one work and the other wouldn’t?

Attachments

#10 ·
Is there anything plugged into the LAN ports on the rear of the modem/router? The lack of a light indicates that there is not ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.