Ethernet not being detected by PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

adamccccc

Hello all,

I have an acer pc.

Previously I used to alternate between using an ethernet connection and wireless depending on my needs. However now when i plug in my ethernet cable my pc no longer detects it and stays connected wirelessly. I know the cable is working fine because I use the same one for my console. I visually inspected the port and can't see any damage. I've tried going on network manager in the control panel but the ethernet connection doesn't show on there. Anyone know how to fix this? Its driving me mad.

Thank you in advance.

TerryNet

Terry
I've tried going on network manager in the control panel
What Windows version? I have no "network manager" in my Windows 8.1 control panel and am sure there was none in XP, Vista, 7 or 8.

Does the ethernet adapter appear as "ok" in Device Manager under Network adapters?

Have you disabled the wireless, connected the ethernet cable and Restarted the system? I ask this because with some computers there will be no switch from wireless to ethernet as there is on most computers (in my experience).

adamccccc

What Windows version? I have no "network manager" in my Windows 8.1 control panel and am sure there was none in XP, Vista, 7 or 8.

Does the ethernet adapter appear as "ok" in Device Manager under Network adapters?

Have you disabled the wireless, connected the ethernet cable and Restarted the system? I ask this because with some computers there will be no switch from wireless to ethernet as there is on most computers (in my experience).
Sorry I meant on "network connections". Ethernet doesn't appear on there, just wifi and bluetooth.

TerryNet

Terry
Ok, thanks, but the other two questions are more important. :)

adamccccc

Ok, thanks, but the other two questions are more important. :)
I have windows 10. The ethernet doesn't appear at all in device manager. I've also just tried what you suggested and it did not fix it all.

Also i don't know if this is important but i am using an ethernet plug that uses the electric circuit in my house, it's not directly in my router.

TerryNet

Terry
The ethernet doesn't appear at all in device manager.
I suspect that the ethernet adapter has failed. Unless it is a PCI or PCIe card that could have come loose or have a corrupted connection. I would try a USB ethernet adapter.

you may have a light next to the ethernet port. If not, then it may have failed. you can also try opening the case, make sure it is dust free and all connections and cards are tight. sometimes dust will cause problems.

Couriant

James
Can you confirm if this is a desktop or a laptop.

If it's not detected, then the two most likely causes will be 1) the Ethernet card is disabled in the BIOS and 2) the Ethernet card is defective. If you have checked the BIOS and (if it's an independent card) the Ethernet port is secured into the machine, then then 2) is more likely and the quickest/cheapest solution is to by an USB Ethernet port. If you have USB 3.0 on your computer, then I would recommend that.

adamccccc

you may have a light next to the ethernet port. If not, then it may have failed. you can also try opening the case, make sure it is dust free and all connections and cards are tight. sometimes dust will cause problems.
Hi i did this and it did something! ethernet now comes up on "network connections" but after troubleshooting it it's saying it doesnt have a valid ip configuration. Any idea what to do next?

adamccccc

Can you confirm if this is a desktop or a laptop.

If it's not detected, then the two most likely causes will be 1) the Ethernet card is disabled in the BIOS and 2) the Ethernet card is defective. If you have checked the BIOS and (if it's an independent card) the Ethernet port is secured into the machine, then then 2) is more likely and the quickest/cheapest solution is to by an USB Ethernet port. If you have USB 3.0 on your computer, then I would recommend that.
Hi it is a desktop. please see my reply above for update. this is after cleaning the dust out of my pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online