1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet not working at home but working at workplace

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sumanparvez, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sumanparvez

sumanparvez Thread Starter

Hi

My Ethernet started malfunctioning recently. My Notebook PC works fine with Ethernet connection at my workplace but recently started malfunctioning at home. The wifi connection is still in order both at home and at my workplace. My PC is Windows 10, i7 processor.

Can you advise how to solve the problem?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Are you using the same Ethernet cable for connection at home and work? If not, consider swapping out the Ethernet cable at home. If you do have the same cable, there may be an issue with the Ethernet port you're plugging into at home. Do you use a router? If so, are there any other open ports you can try?

3. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Just a semi-dumb question. Have you tried to restart the router at home. And, as lochlomonder says, tried to connect directly to the router?

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

With my Belkin router, I changed desktops on my wired network an had to reboot the router t get it to see the new PC.

5. sumanparvez

sumanparvez Thread Starter

I've changed the cable today i.e. the one I was using in my workplace is now used at home. The problem still persists. The router was restarted but that did not solve the problem. I've noticed IPV6 DNS server properties are different at my home and in my office.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You can safely disable IP ver. 6. Not many websites use that, yet.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Is your laptop connected to a dock at work? If so, try connecting the Ethernet directly to the laptop and not the dock.

Do you have any other Ethernet devices connected to your router? If so, check those to see what speeds they are showing. You may need to factory reset the router if it's only happening at home.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice