Ethernet not working only on desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do you have the link lights blinking on the ethernet adapter (or router if you can see it)? If not then the network card is defective

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the modem/router? To do this; there is a tiny pin hole on the back of the unit. Take a paper clip and straighten out one end then insert it into the hole. There is a reset button inside, push and hold down on it until the unit turns off then release.

Chintu333444

Do you have the link lights blinking on the ethernet adapter (or router if you can see it)? If not then the network card is defective
The lights on the motherboard (where Ethernet is plugged) are blinking but on the device it doesn't blink. But as mentioned before works fine on my laptop.

Chintu333444

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the modem/router? To do this; there is a tiny pin hole on the back of the unit. Take a paper clip and straighten out one end then insert it into the hole. There is a reset button inside, push and hold down on it until the unit turns off then release.
I would have done it, but the problem doesn't seem to be with the modem/router since it works just fine on my laptop. I can try it but I'd have to do all the configurations again for which I'd have to call my ISP, they have really bad service and you have to wait hours until someone from customer support picks your call up. So I'd prefer if it's avoided also as I mentioned before it works fine on the laptop so I do not think it has anything to do with the router.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK, so to confirm:

You have uninstalled the device and driver in Device Manager?
You have confirmed that the Ethernet Cable works with the same port.
You have used a different cable and port, just for clarification of issue?
You have confirmed that the Ethernet port confirms there is connectivity via link lights

Do you have any internet security programs like Norton, or McAfee? If so, try uninstalling it.

Falling short on all these, I suspect the Ethernet Card is defective. I would suggest a USB Ethernet dongle.

Chintu333444

OK, so to confirm:

You have uninstalled the device and driver in Device Manager?
You have confirmed that the Ethernet Cable works with the same port.
You have used a different cable and port, just for clarification of issue?
You have confirmed that the Ethernet port confirms there is connectivity via link lights

Do you have any internet security programs like Norton, or McAfee? If so, try uninstalling it.

Falling short on all these, I suspect the Ethernet Card is defective. I would suggest a USB Ethernet dongle.
So I do not have another ethernet cable that is long enough to reach my desktop but I have used the same able on another device and it works fine.

The lights on the back of my motherboard (where the ethernet cable goes in) are blinking but those on my modem and router are not.

I do not have any anti virus installed even disabled Windows defender.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Not to sound silly, but did you make sure the Ethernet cable is connected to the router, as in trace it from the computer to the router? Did you try a different port?

Chintu333444

Not to sound silly, but did you make sure the Ethernet cable is connected to the router, as in trace it from the computer to the router? Did you try a different port?
Yes, it's certainly connected and yes I have tried all of the ports.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
the last issue I can think of is maybe the router is blocking the machine itself by it's MAC address. If you don't have access to the configuration of the router, then you will need to contact the ISP.

Using a USB Ethernet dongle (which I'm sure you can return if you don't want it) to troubleshoot this will at least confirm if the computer is causing this issue. If it's still not working, then there is something on your computer that is preventing the connectivity. If it works with USB dongle, then either the MAC address is blocked or your Ethernet adapter is defective.

Chintu333444

the last issue I can think of is maybe the router is blocking the machine itself by it's MAC address. If you don't have access to the configuration of the router, then you will need to contact the ISP.

Using a USB Ethernet dongle (which I'm sure you can return if you don't want it) to troubleshoot this will at least confirm if the computer is causing this issue. If it's still not working, then there is something on your computer that is preventing the connectivity. If it works with USB dongle, then either the MAC address is blocked or your Ethernet adapter is defective.
I guess I'll get a usb dongle tommorow and post and update here. Thanks a lot.

Chintu333444

One last thing I forgot to mention is that I have tried using my phone via USB tethering as well. Same problem. So let's say my network adapter is faulty then usb tethering should have worked no?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I am not familiar with USB Tethering so I cannot say, but if it doesn't work that way, then maybe use the Troubleshooting tool in Settings and see what that says.

Chintu333444

I am not familiar with USB Tethering so I cannot say, but if it doesn't work that way, then maybe use the Troubleshooting tool in Settings and see what that says.
troubleshooting tool suggested resetting network which I did. At this point I am thinking it could be a virus preventing me from getting on the internet? My windows too randomly got corrupted? Should I run an antivirus?

TerryNet

Terry
I haven't, I will check if there is one there.
So, have you tried the Gigabyte supplied ethernet driver with no change in the error flag in Device Manager?

If so, along with everything else you've done, I agree with the advice to try a USB ethernet adapter, as the integrated one seems to be defective.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online