1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet not working...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by qpqpzmzm, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

My ethernet connection seems to have suddenly crapped out which has left me using the USB port. But that means I cannot establish my home wireless network.

My ISP troubleshooting help line could not tell me anything beyond it being an ethernet problem.

Any help troubleshooting and re-establishing is much appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... ethernet connection seems to have suddenly crapped out" implies
    1. bad ethernet adapter,
    2. bad ethernet cable, or
    3. bad something at the other end of the cable.

Can you try another cable?

Can you try something different at the other end of the cable (e.g., if it was a router, try a different LAN port)?

Can you try the same setup but with a different computer?

3. onsite

onsite

so i can assume that since you are using a usb connection you are connecting directley to the modem ?
    do you have a router ?
    if you do, plug one end of the cat5 cable back into your ethernet port on your pc, while watching, plug the other end of the cat 5 cable into the router. Did an led come on for this port ? if you just have the modem, plug the cat5 cable into the mode, then plug it into the pc, did the link light come on on the network card ? if yes on either, that means you have sent out a signal and it came back, 99% of the time this means your NICs and cable are ok.

4. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

Sorry for the delayed reply but I actually had a friend try some things with the computer and completely knocked me offline until now.

Anyway when I got back up I saw your response but also had this response from a cousin of mine who does computer repair in a far away part of the provice and who I had emailed.

Has anyone heard of this and is there a solution to the DSL Ethernet hijacking/change???

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice