1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet only router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by unitedlad, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unitedlad

unitedlad Thread Starter

Hi, first post so be nice :)

I'm currently living in a student dorm and they just provide us with an ethernet socket on the wall. Is there any routers out there that I would be able to use. By this I mean is there any routers that have an ethernet socket rather than an ADSL one?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ask the IT department if routers are permitted.

Yes.

3. unitedlad

unitedlad Thread Starter

Would you be able to give me a link to a considerably cheap router. It's hard to find one as most of the websites pictures of the router just shows the front of the router.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  5. gamergomer

gamergomer

Well, if you want to turn that one ethernet port into more than one port, you probably want a switch and not really a router. Or if you have a router you might need to turn off DHCP or do some other setup first. I'd really talk to the IT Department before you plug a router into their system...

But basically if it doesn't say router with dsl modem, it doesn't have the phone plug.

6. unitedlad

unitedlad Thread Starter

Yes, but I have bought plenty of routers in the past that don't come with a dsl modem. I just plug it straight in to the wall. This was of course in my house, not the uni dorm.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's helpful if you mention what country you're in if you're looking for purchasing advice. I believe you're in the UK, right?

8. unitedlad

unitedlad Thread Starter

Yes, UK

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice