1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Option Not showing up

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Edgy34, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Edgy34

Edgy34 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I've recently gotten a new ethernet cable and wanted to use it BUT it doesn't show up as an option anywhere on my laptop. The cable isn't the issue I've tried using it on my friends laptop and it worked so the issue is my laptop. I have a laptop with an ethernet port, sadly in windows there isn't ethernet as an option anywhere not even in device manager or in Network and internet settings left collum. I'am lost and I'd like to fix this.
    Screenshot_279.png

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try disconnecting the wireless connection, does the Ethernet show up after that ?

If not you may need a driver for it, what is the full make and model of the laptop ?

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    There are several possibilities. It may be disabled in the BIOS, it may be missing the driver, etc. What kind of laptop are we dealing with here? Make/model? It looks like Win10. Was it always? Or did you upgrade it from another OS?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Managed: WiFi / Ethernet options will show when there is a physical connection present. #YNWA

Edgy: You confirmed that there no Ethernet Adapter in Device Manager? Are there any listed under Other Devices? Also please go to the Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd and press enter) and type the following commands:

WMIC CSPRODUCT GET NAME (this will get us the Model name)
    WMIC BIOS GET SERIALNUMBER (this will identify the exact model)

This info will help us make sure we get the correct driver for the machine.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If my laptop already has a wireless connection plugging an Ethernet cable in makes no difference, it still uses wireless. Not sure if that applies to the OP's situation.

There should be an Ethernet driver in Device Manager though.

*YNWA for the 96*

6. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice