1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet or Wireless Connection, but no Internet Access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gelfbeard, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gelfbeard

gelfbeard Thread Starter

I have had my HP laptop for 2.5 years now, originally bought with Vista 64 bit. It now has Windows 7. Up until now, internet access and connectivity have been working fine. But, all of the sudden today, I couldn't get Internet Access despite trying both an ethernet port and a wireless connection (connectivity was working.) I know it's something with the laptop, because my ASUS netbook has no problem accessing the internet. I've tried looking around at some of these tech support sites and haven't really found anything that's worked for me. I've tried using CCleaner to remove any temp files and clean the registry, and resetting internet settings in the command box, but still I get nothing.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

first job is have you turned it off by a switch by accident? activated flight mode for example? if no and no then second port of call is system restore

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A System Restore to before the problem began is a good step and/or you can try ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

4. gelfbeard

gelfbeard Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. I did all you said, although the third command didn't work. After rebooting, there was no difference, but after a few minutes, after McCaffee scanned for protection status, I was able to work online.

5. gelfbeard

gelfbeard Thread Starter

Oh, I thought it was solved, but apparently not. After I got internet access back, I allowed McAffee to update, because some of the components were not working right after the system restore. After that I lost my access again. So, assuming it was McAffee all along, I uninstalled it and got access back again. I also uninstalled Firefox in case some add-on was causing problems. Everything was working fine for a few hours with Google Chrome, Super Anti-Spyware, and AVG newly installed. Then, again, I lost internet access. Do I have a virus or something?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One possibility is that you may still have (some of) McAfee. Use the Removal Tool. Good to run those stack repairs again afterwards.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice