Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethernet or wireless?

682 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Novictory 
#1 ·
A little confusion here - When I log onto my Verizon router page (that 198.xxx thing), I show many menus but the following 2 have me a little confused. One says "network connection" type is: Ethernet - I do have a yellow cable coming out of my Actiontec router to the pc so I get that. Another menu says "wireless settings" and this says "wireless" which I have set to WPA and the mode is 802.11g "only". Is this system wireless or ethernet or both? I would like to do the pc to tv connection for netflix movies at some point.. Am I all set with this configuration? (knowing I have to buy a box of some sort, Roku or Apple or something) and if I do have a wireless connection, can I connect the two without cables running from one to another? Hope that is all clear. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Is this system wireless or ethernet or both
both

you have a wireless router - and so you can connect to the router with a cable as you currenty are doing and other devices PCs etc or your PC can also connect with wireless
I would like to do the pc to tv connection for netflix movies at some point..
someone else will need to answer the netflix service

from what I can see on the website
http://www.netflix.com/HowItWorks#faq1
you can watch via a PC

http://www.netflix.com/HowItWorks#faq1
Can I also watch instantly on my PC or Mac?

Yes. Simply press Play on any TV episode or movie to instantly watch it online on your Internet-connected PC or Mac.
so you can watch directly on your PC without any other device - and then if you have your PC video output connected to the TV you should be able to watch on TV via PC

whats the make and model of TV
- what outputs do you have on the PC video card ?
- what inputs do you have on the TV

if you have HDMI on both - then you should be able to use that - although for some copyright materials you will only be able to display on the TV and not two monitors

#3 ·
Ok that solves the first part - I have both. On to the next part - I looked at the Roku setup guide and here's what I gather: If I use the wireless connection, I plug the hdmi cable from the Roku box to the tv hdmi input. Anyway, if I use the wired connection, I plug the roku device into the router with the ethernet cable and the hdmi cable from the roku box into the pc. I think I have to go with the ethernet option as my router is under a desk and around the corner from the tv. The guide indicates that the player should be within range of the router - I think I'm within range feet wise but not sure if the around the corner and under the desk might provide some obstruction. -- I hope my understanding of this is correct - Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.