1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet permission problem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TORB, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TORB

TORB Thread Starter

Hi Good Peoples,

I and hoping that somebody can help me please. I have conected up two machines are via Ethernet, an HP which is the main machine which connects to the Internet and the second machine which is a Toshiba.

The Toshiba can communicate to the Internet with no problem. I can also copy data from the HP to the Toshiba so I definitely have data flow both ways.

However, on the Toshiba, if I got to "view workgroup computers" and then click on the HP icon, I get the following error message. \\Ric is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

Grrrrr..... I am the bloody administrator! And talking to myself does not help resolve the situation. :rolleyes:

I have tried turning the firewalls off on both machines and this makes no difference.

On the HP, the (c) drive "network sharing and security" settings show a kick in the box that says "share this folder on the network", it has a share name of C and the box saying "allow network users to change my files" is also ticked.

In essence, I cannot copy files from the Toshiba to the HP. Can anyone help please?

Cheers
    Ric

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Do you have the same user accounts and passwords on all computers. Also, the default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

3. TORB

TORB Thread Starter

Bob,

Thanks for the response. To the best of my knowledge, neither machine is set up to have a password. I have checked in the control panel/user account and both show "Create a password" (rather than change a password) as the option.

In the control panel/user account,the user account name on both computers is the same.I hope I'm looking in the right place.

Cheers
    Ric

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What version of XP do you have?
    Do both computers have the same user accounts created?

5. TORB

TORB Thread Starter

Both running XP Pro and the User Account Name is the same on both computers, although obviously both computers have different assigned names.

Cheers
    Ric

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again, the default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

So you at least need to have this done.

7. TORB

TORB Thread Starter

Bob,

Thank for the assistance. without wishing to sound thick, which I will,I have two questions.

Firstly, if I need a password, how come I can copy in one direction but not the other? Secondly,where do I set up these network passwords?

Cheers
    Ric

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

XP Pro requiring a password for network access is the default setting. It certainly is a setting that can be changed. This would be through the group policies. That might be one explanation. Without seeing how the computers are configured, it's difficult to say from just the information provided so far.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

For what it's worth, I have more than one XP system networked and have never used passwords....also have never messed with group policies to change anything. Everything just worked from the get go.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

12. TORB

TORB Thread Starter

Bob,

Thanks for the links. I have played with the passwork by-pass as suggested in the links, it still does not work! :mad:

Cheers
    Ric

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Like I said, you at least need that. And possibly more.

You might try opening a cmd prompt
    Then run net view \\computer_name

Where computer name is the one you are having trouble connecting to.
    What error messages you get may help in getting farther along.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From that same cmd prompt, you might try and run a net use command to manually make a network connection.

Each of these can show error codes that can be very helpful in determining the source of the problem.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Other things that can affect your ability to connect over a network are whether you have NTFS or FAT32 partitions, and if Simple File Sharing has been enabled.

Since of of your computers works and one doesn't, you might start to take a look at all the differences related to networking.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice