1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet port not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by golfnut2, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golfnut2

golfnut2 Thread Starter

I just installed DSL service for a friend. The Ethernet port is not working. She has a Dell Deminsion with Windows XP (I know it is the port because I brought over my laptop and connected fine). Is there a way to fix this or do I have to install a Ethernet PCI card? Thank you

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Go to the Dell site put the make and model and look for Ethernet drivers for it.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the on-board NIC is actually bad, there's no way to fix it. You'd have to install a different one.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Install a pci ethernet card, drivers won't fix this.

5. Kazna3

Kazna3

It sounds like the drivers. Do what "bonk" has stated above first.

By the make model of your friends computer, we can know its motherboard and if it comes with an integrated Ethernet port or an NIC.

6. phlagz

phlagz

When I was working for Dell...1 thing I noticed was that if the customer did not fully activate the Norton that came installed on the PC it prevented any Networking, and once I got the customer to get Norton fully functioning then I was able to get my customer on the Net.

7. golfnut2

golfnut2 Thread Starter

The Ethernet is integrated. I will download the drivers from Dell but will also take a PCI in case installing the driver does not work. thank you

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/510961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice