1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet port not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adelemia, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adelemia

adelemia Thread Starter

I'm running Win XP and using Bt broadband (not wireless). Everything was going fine on Sunday night but when I turned the computer on on Monday morning I had no 'data' light on my router, called Bt did all the usual crap like changing the ethernet around and rebooting the router.

I then used a different ethernet cable and a netgear router and I was still not getting the light to show that ethernet was connected - nor do I have an orange light at the back of the computer.

Windows is telling me that the local area connection is unplugged. When I uninstall the ethernet (Sis 900-based fast ethernet adaptor) Windows finds it again and successfully reinstalls it and tells me it's ready to use.

I am online through a usb cable from my router and my boyfriend's xbox 360 is connected to the router through an ethernet and it's working so it's definetely my computer. I have downloaded new drivers from the Sis website and installed them but it still hasn't solved the problem.

A few times last night when I turned on my computer I have had to run it in safe mode because running it on the last known good config just brings up a black screen. It has been suggested to me that this could be a registry problem? If so do I need to reinstall windows? I had a virus about a week before this all happened.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Try a new ethernet adapter. I use Linksys LNE100TX adapters on customers machines when I have to replace an adapter and have never had a problem with them.

SIS chipsets are pretty low quality, and I personally don't buy any products that use SIS components.

3. adelemia

adelemia Thread Starter

Thanks - every time I turn on my computer i'm forced to run in safe mode and I have to leave it in safe mode for about 15 mins then restart so I can get the computer to run normally. I definetely think I have buggered the registry :(

4. adelemia

adelemia Thread Starter

Sounds like the same thing that mine's doing. I have a USB cable from the router to the PC now and it's working through that rather than the ethernet so that's one way around it if like me you have no idea how to fix it.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Why do you believe an error in the registry would fix itself in 15 minutes? :confused:

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

7. adelemia

adelemia Thread Starter

It isn't fixed it's still making me start in safe mode twice before I can even start normally...

I just meant that I could still get online with a USB cable when I finally get my computer to start up.

8. adelemia

adelemia Thread Starter

I tried the above and when I rebooted it started up with a totally black screen. I had to turn it off and on again and was forced into safe mode. I then restarted from safe mode and got back onto windows.

Had a look at system errors in admin tools and there were a long list of errors comprising of

DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    Aavmker4
    AFD
    aswTdi
    Fips
    intelppm
    IPSec
    MRxSmb
    NetBIOS
    NetBT
    RasAcd
    Rdbss
    Tcpip

The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
    A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD service which failed to start because of the following error:

The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error:

DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

9. adelemia

adelemia Thread Starter

I have reinstalled windows and everything is fixed now, must have been the registry.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice