1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ethernet port question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jrf1025, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrf1025

jrf1025 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and hope someone can help. I will be moving into a town home soon and upon inspection, was pleasantly surprised that every room there has been wired for ethernet. Removing one of the wall plates revealed cat5e wiring, so I'm definitely looking forward to utilizing this once settled in.

However, my question is in regards to the ethernet port type (picture attached below). I have never seen one of this design with a sort of off-center hole/notch protruding in the lower right of the port. I forgot to bring my RJ45 cable on my last visit to see if it fits, but will do so next time.

Will this accommodate a standard ethernet cable for internet usage? FYI the wall plate on a couple of the outlets shows "Your home is wired for possibilities. Best Buy for New Homes" and apparently an "ON Q Home" security system is also in place there. Also, all ethernet ports in the home look just like this one.

Any helpful incite you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

jrf1025

Inked20190811_122553_LI.jpg

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

From what I've been able to find, the keyed RJ45 jack you have is an old (now obsolete connector) intended for 8P2C type applications. Or in other words, it was meant for telecom/phone connections. The jack can still be used for Ethernet but you have to ensure the jack is wired correctly at the drop and back where the wiring is terminated. There are two wiring standards which the jack needs to be wired to: T568A or T568B. Check to see what is going on behind that cover plate on that connector.

Have you looked at where all these cables are terminated in the house? My bet is the wiring is all pulled to a structured wiring cabinet in some closet or basement location. You have to see how these cables are terminated in the cabinet; whether the cables are terminated into a phone line bridge board or into an actual patch panel. My guess is they'll most likely be terminated into a phone line bridge board. I bought my vacation home as new construction. The subcontractor for the low voltage/structured wiring terminated all the drops into a phone bridge board. I had to go out and purchase a compatible patch panel for the cabinet and re-terminated all the cables to this patch panel. You don't have to terminate the cables into a patch panel. You can terminate them with male RJ45 connectors.

To make all the drops hot for Ethernet, you have to connect the drops into a switch.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I would say that since every room has these they are for phones and not internet.
    If there is a room with 2 outlets near each other then one of them MAY be for internet.

4. jrf1025

jrf1025 Thread Starter

Thank you very much @zx10guy and @DaveA. I really appreciate the prompt support. Will look into it further on my next visit and keep you posted. Thanks again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice