1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet port - Toshiba being difficult

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrsGrey, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

I bought a Satellite R630 in October. After Christmas the ethernet port broke: the connector no longer clicked into place and even when held in manually, the port no longer functions. I need this as I live in a house with thick stone walls, so can't connect wirelessly -- I have been connecting to the router with an ethernet connection to via a mains "plug". I was referred via Toshiba's website to a service centre who advised over the phone that this would probably not come under the warranty, as it would be deemed "accidental damage", i.e. not a manufacturing fault. I have checked with another service centre who said the same thing. Is this normal -- for normal usage to be judged accidental damage? Any advice for what I can say to get this repaired under warranty? I bought the laptop from PCWorld, so I am considering taking it back there, though not hopeful I will get a better response...:(
    Thoughts, anyone?
    Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    depends omn what has happened to the port - if its been damaged by the way you have plugged the unit in - then i suspect that will not be covered
    BUT
    the cable usually has a clip on the actual connector , so is the cable that broken the clip - even so I have used many cables with the clip broken and still have a connection

lets see a few things from the PC with the cable plugged in
    are there any lights on around the connector on the PC - green or yellow at all?

any lights on the modem / router where the cable is plugged in

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {Device Manager}
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    {Ping Tests}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    post back results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

3. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

I have tried it with alternative cables and none work.
    Many thanks for your very full reply. I will try to do the screenshots. I can access the internet wirelessly where i am now, so will have a go...

4. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

Attached Files:

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    looks like you are getting a IP for the ethernet connection, unless thats a fixed IP - as you did not post the DHCP answer
    depends on what the results are from the ping tests BUT with the wireless disconnected

I would go to pcworld with the attitude that they will be replacing because of a faulty product and see how they react to your assertion .... and if it broke through normal usage that again would be faulty product - as you are in UK have a chat to trading standards consumer help line

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/
    contact details
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

I have used these for various family members with issues on a brand new car before delivery where they wanted to charge the price because of delay in delivery and I just made a quote as they advised - and it was resolved in one phone call !!!!
    also with other items mobile phone contract for son
    they provide excellent advice and give you the laws , sales of good act statements to quote

6. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

Many thanks for that link, etaf. I will do that and let you know the outcome. "Not fit for purpose" comes to mind. Also see Martin Lewis at moneysavingexpert.com with his mnemonic SAD FART : Satisfactory quality, As Described, Fit for purpose, And last a Reasonable length of Time !

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep, that was the discussion regarding a SAAB I had issues with coming out of warranty = Satisfactory quality, As Described, Fit for purpose

then the other car discussion was around the contract and the rights under that contract - as they where threatening my daughter and trying to increase the price of the car by £800 or she would not get her £1000 deposit back , which they gave me some things to quote and that worked ....

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice