1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Port

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ohdave15, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ohdave15

Ohdave15 Thread Starter

So I’m in college and last year I stayed in a dorm. I got a ps4 and I played 2k but when I was online, it was lagging. A friend told me to get a lan cable, i did and it was better. Now I moved to an apartment and the lan cable doesn’t not fit on the port. I’m wondering if there’s a smaller or different type of lan cable I need because I need to play 2k. Any help or advice is needed right now. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi, and welcome to TSG.

Check with your landlord or building manager to see if your apartment has an Ethernet connection to the Internet or if you only have wiring for a telephone Landline.

A modern standard Ethernet connector has 8 contact positions and fully populated with 8 contacts. In the USA, Plain Old Telephone Systems (POTS) uses a similar looking 6 position connector with 4 or 2 contacts. The outer positions are not used.

If that connector is an Ethernet port, it is most likely from the 1990s for a 10 Mbit/Sec CAT3 connection.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your image, it looks like you're trying to plug an ethernet cable into a land-line phone outlet.

---------------------------------------------------------------

plodr likes this.
  4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You covered up the jack. So we can't tell 100% what it is. But because you can't insert the RJ45 connector into the wall jack, my guess which is most likely correct is the wall jack is an RJ11 jack. Which means the plug is about half the width of the RJ45 connector and only has 4 pins. This is pretty common in residential settings for straight analog phone connections (POTS). As such, there's no chance you're getting any type of Ethernet connectivity without major rework of the home wiring.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice