1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet ports not working & logon screens slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Obinice, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Okay well heres my problem peoples. I restarted my PC today, you know, start > turn off computer > restart and when I restarted my internet connection went. (Note: I have 2 comps on a router so im using the other one right now) I checked all connections, their fine, I checked all settings, their fine, theres no reason at all I can see that would stop my internet from working. Oh and I might add that the network connection I had on it, the comp said it was still connected, but it gave some really weird dodgy IP address thats completely nothing to do with my network....

Then I saw it, you know the 2 lights that light up at the back of your ethernet port? well nether of them were on at all. They didnt come on when a wire was connected, or when it was disconnected. So I think it may be a hardware situation here.....

I only bought this PC a few weeks back and if we need to pay to get it repaired my parents will hurt me lol (not litterally :p ) But yeah I seriously need to get it working.

Oh and one more thing that happened at the same time the internet stopped working, you know after you log on on the windows xp logon screen? it shows the "WELCOME" text on the blue background thingy? Well it shows that welcome, and stays there for about a minute before actually loading up my desktop! In that time CTRL+ALT+DEL etc dont work ether. I believe the 2 are related, surely they have to be?

I really appreciate any info anyone can give me :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, they could be related.

The easiest thing to try is to take the ethernet cable from the computer that works, but keep it in the same router port, and plug it into the computer that does not conenct and see if the lights come on.

You can check on the connection status by going to Control Panel -> Network Connections -> and the selecting the correct Local Area Connection.

You can also go into Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager and check to see if there is a driver problem. You can even uninstall the card and reinstall it if you have the driver on CD. Make sure you note any settings for the connection first so if you need to you can restore them later.

If its a bad card and it came with the computer then it should be a warranty issue if it comes down to that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/278154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice