1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jjb442, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjb442

jjb442 Thread Starter

I am running windows XP and everyhting has been working fine for the last six months or so since I installed a new modem and hooked up a wireless router for my laptop. For some reson I got home from being away for a few days and the modem stopped linking up to my desktop computer thereby not allowing me to conenct to the internet.

I called up comcast and they ran me through restarting modem (Zoom USB/Ethernet Modem 6-months old), removing cable and reinserting, removing wireless router, viewing my hardware profile for my ethernet card (indicated everything was working correctly). I then had a technician come out - He thought at first my modem was malfunctioning so he started to hook up a new one and this one also would not link to my computer. He then said I needed a new card and tried hooking up my modem via USB connect (that worked).

I just bought a new ethernet card (Linksys etherfast 10/100 LAN card) and installed in PCI slot in the computer. I installed drivers and according to hardware profile the new card is operating correctly. Followed the isntructions for modem to hook up via ethernet and still the modem will not link to the computer.

In the lower right it says that the network cable is unplugged. I tried using a couple of different cables thinking soemthing may have happened to the cable - no luck.

I am not sure now
    1. if I needed a new card
    2. if the modem is toast (but if so why didn't comcast's modem work)
    3. do I need both a new card and modem
    4. has something gone on the motehrboard not allowing connection via ethernet even with a new card jsut installed but o.k with USB (if that is possible)

If anyone can shed some light as to what I could try next to determine what the problem is - computer or modem (as my wireless router will not work unless I have ethernet connection) it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!

John

2. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

If you can tell me the Model Number and version of the modem, I can help you with this. =) I work for them after all!

Also can you ping the modem?? Do an ipconfig /all in the command prompt and paste what you get here.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you change from the USB to the Ethernet connection on the modem, you MUST turn off power on the modem for it to recognize the new MAC address of the different connection. See if that helps.

4. jjb442

jjb442 Thread Starter

The model number is: 5241. I am not sure of the version but here is the seriel number: 62B0AC054323 and there is a series number: 1051. Here is the info from running the ipconfig:

C:\Documents and Settings\JOHN BORGESI>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jborgesihome
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.nh.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet A
    dapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F8-0D-DB-12

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VM Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-02-1D-3B-8E

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.nh.comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Zoom USB Cable Modem
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-01-0F-14
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.68.67.91
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 75.68.64.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.71.16
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.71.226
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 03, 2007 5:12:26 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 06, 2007 9:48:23 PM

Let me know what you think. Thanks!!

5. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

You can check out F.A.Q. at http://www.zoom.com

It is giving you an IP address so you should be able to access the internet. Let me look into it a bit more..

6. jjb442

jjb442 Thread Starter

I can access the internet through the USB connection but not the ethernet connection which is what I need for my wireless to work not to mention the connection speed seemed to be faster with the internet conenction. Why is it the USB connection works and the ethernet does not even with the installation of a brand new etherent adapter that according to the computer is operating correctly.

7. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

The USB should work with the wireless, have you tested more than one Ethernet cable with the modem? Could be a bad cable

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Connect your ethernet to a LAN port on the router (you don't have to connect the router to the modem or anything else except the electricity) and show us another ipconfig /all

If you get a connection to the router that way we will know that your card and computer are working.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice