1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ethernet probs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by glenladuk, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenladuk

glenladuk Thread Starter

hi guys

heres my prob. I have NTL Broadband through a set top box. up untill this week i have had it connected via my ethernet card with no problems.

I had to reinstall windows xp home after formatting the hard drive. I treid in vein to insatll suing the cd software but it couldnt obtain an ip address. in desperation i plugged in the usb adaptor and installed that with no problems.

The error i got when trying to use the rthernet card was release/renew failed while trying to obtain an ip address.

for some reason when i go into status it seems to have assigned its self an automatic ip address. ive tried taking the card out and putting it back in. enabling and disabling and turning off the set top boxx but to no avail

NTL couln't help with my problem! SOMEONE HELP!!!

2. jellygumbo

jellygumbo

Is DHCP enabled on your set top box? Your NIC has to get an ip address somewhere, and right now it is getting a 169.x.x.x from your O/S.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice