1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Speed is suddenly way slower than wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mamalisa, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mamalisa

mamalisa Thread Starter

Hello. I have wi fi in my home that is running fine. My phone etc is getting about 13 mbps for downloading and 1.4 for uploading which is normal for me. My desktop however had a virus issue and I had to take it to be repaired. It is repaired and I brought it home and hooked it up EXACTLY as it was before I took it to be repaired. It is hardwired directly to modem but it is only getting about 2 mbps downloading and .44 uploading. I called my internet provider and they tried to help but said everything looks good on their end and that it was a computer issue. The shop that repaired it is closed today and I am in the middle of a deadline and I NEED this fixed. it is an ACER computer so I called their helpline but because it is out of warranty they wanted me to pay $100 for them to tell me how to fix it. He suggested it was a setting on the computer that needed changed but I have been looking for HOURS and can not find the solution...PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Sponsor

3. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Well it could be that the clean up for the virus issue removed some of the files that were being used.

You might check for new networking drivers.

Also what AV program are you now using?

4. mamalisa

mamalisa Thread Starter

They installed Microsoft security essentials?? I know nothing about it.

5. mamalisa

mamalisa Thread Starter

My internet provider said the signal is strong and that the computer must be limiting it. I shut my firewall off just long enough to rerun speed test... same results.

6. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Then I would say that you need the network drivers updated.

7. mamalisa

mamalisa Thread Starter

ok....how do I do that?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Microsoft Security Essentials is not likely causing any problem.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

Assuming you have Vista or later ...

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

9. mamalisa

mamalisa Thread Starter

I am running Windows Vista

10. mamalisa

mamalisa Thread Starter

ok. I did that. It did its thing....but no change. Still 2.13 mbps downloading.... ugh... other options?

11. mamalisa

mamalisa Thread Starter

i do not know what firewall/ security suite was on the system....how do I check that?

12. mamalisa

mamalisa Thread Starter

I have wi fi in my home that is running fine. My phone etc is getting about 13 mbps for downloading and 1.4 for uploading which is normal for me. My desktop however had a virus issue and I had to take it to be repaired. It is repaired and I brought it home and hooked it up EXACTLY as it was before I took it to be repaired. It is hardwired directly to modem but it is only getting about 2 mbps downloading and .44 uploading. I called my internet provider and they tried to help but said everything looks good on their end and that it was a computer issue. The shop that repaired it is closed today and I am in the middle of a deadline and I NEED this fixed. it is an ACER computer so I called their helpline but because it is out of warranty they wanted me to pay $100 for them to tell me how to fix it. He suggested it was a setting on the computer that needed changed but I have been looking for HOURS and can not find the solution...PLEASE HELP!!!
    :mad:

13. mamalisa

mamalisa Thread Starter

Upon this advice from Terry... I did all of the below actions....No change

Microsoft Security Essentials is not likely causing any problem.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

Assuming you have Vista or later ...

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If it's not still on there's little chance of finding out except by asking whoever had the PC before.

In Device Manager right click on your ethernet and Uninstall the driver. Restart the system and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver (this is in case the installed instance is corrupted).

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

16. mamalisa

mamalisa Thread Starter

i went to device manager but couldnt find anything that said ethernet....what would it be under?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1130394