Solved Ethernet suddenly stopped working

Faded323

So I’ve had my pc for a while now with no internet problems but yesterday after I got home it wasn’t working anymore. It says it’s connected but not to the internet. It was literally working before I left and now it’s not working at all, I do not know what to do and how to fix this. My wifi works fine on everything else , my cable works good with my Xbox as well but not my pc now. The light turns on and everything so I KNOW the cable works. If anyone knows how to fix this plz! Lmk

TerryNet

Terry
Need some explanation and information. The PC is able to communicate with other devices on your LAN but does not have internet access?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.
(In Windows 10 you may have to use some other procedure to get a Command Prompt window.)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after the command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

So I understand you are using an Ethernet cable to connect your desktop to the internet. It now says connected but no internet.

Right click on the 'network' icon on the bottom right of the screen. Select 'Open Network and internet settings'. Click on 'Change adapter options'. Right click on Ethernet and select Properties. Click on IPv4 and click Properties button. In the manual DNS fields, enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. These are Google's DNS settings and always work. DNS is what translates a text line like 'google.com' into an internet address like 223.232.444.222

Faded323

Need some explanation and information. The PC is able to communicate with other devices on your LAN but does not have internet access?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.
(In Windows 10 you may have to use some other procedure to get a Command Prompt window.)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after the command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-GN0I0G5
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : example.com

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : example.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-F0-5D-5E-7A-8B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2603:8000:e43e:49db::1d6e(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 16, 2021 4:38:19 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 23, 2021 4:38:19 PM
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2603:8000:e43e:49db:f41d:a928:9e9b:8cf5(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2603:8000:e43e:49db:4cb5:a20b:4a83:d78c(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f41d:a928:9e9b:8cf5%3(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.243(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 16, 2021 4:27:34 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 16, 2021 6:37:07 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::f85b:3bff:fe20:fce5%3
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 53276765
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-E7-93-4B-2C-F0-5D-5E-7A-8B
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2603:8000:e43e:49db::1
2603:8000:e43e:49db::1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
example.com
example.com

Faded323

So I understand you are using an Ethernet cable to connect your desktop to the internet. It now says connected but no internet.

Right click on the 'network' icon on the bottom right of the screen. Select 'Open Network and internet settings'. Click on 'Change adapter options'. Right click on Ethernet and select Properties. Click on IPv4 and click Properties button. In the manual DNS fields, enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. These are Google's DNS settings and always work. DNS is what translates a text line like 'google.com' into an internet address like 223.232.444.222
now my internet is working after doing a couple resets but it says 1pv4 is not connected but ipv6 is

Do you mean you did several reBOOTS ( instead of RESET ( which is restoring your Windows to factory condition ). )

Some internet service providers use ipv6. Not uncommon.

Faded323

I’m connected to internet but still not? Idk what’s going on, I could load in this page but not other pages right now.

Faded323

Do you mean you did several reBOOTS ( instead of RESET ( which is restoring your Windows to factory condition ). )

Yeah reboots

yes I meant reboots but before this happened both ipv6 and ipv4 were connected

OK if you made the change to DNS settings I showed you, erase them. Lets see what happens then.

Faded323

OK if you made the change to DNS settings I showed you, erase them. Lets see what happens then.
Okay I put it back to find dns automatically but still no internet access for ipv4. I’ve never messed with these settings before and it has always said both connected until yesterday when I got back home and turned on my computer. When I turned on my computer it was trying to connect to “network 2” but then went back to the usual “network” you think that caused anything??

Windows automatically tries to to connect to Network 2 when the settings has changed and attempts to connect with the changed settings calling it network 2. Maybe someone changed the settings - something to investigate.

Faded323

Windows automatically tries to to connect to Network 2 when the settings has changed and attempts to connect with the changed settings calling it network 2. Maybe someone changed the settings - something to investigate.
Would doing a complete reset fix this problem because idk what to do and can’t find any answers online

No need to reset. As long as either one of ipv4 or ipv6 is working, it is fine to leave it alone. Internet is functioning, so we can be happy.

Faded323

No need to reset. As long as either one of ipv4 or ipv6 is working, it is fine to leave it alone. Internet is functioning, so we can be happy.
Hmm well I can’t connect to anything other than YouTube. I use this computer for school and games and none of it will work. IPv6 before all of this happened said “connected” now it just says “internet” also IPv4 said “connected” now it says no internet access

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online