Ethernet switch that doesn't require power...?

OM2

Is it possible to get an ethernet switch that doesn't need power?

I looked up and there seem to be devices that can be powered by ethernet when used with special ethernet cables.

This is not what I want. I only need to give ethernet to one device at a time - don't need to give to all connected devices.
You can get USB printer switches - this is exactly what I want!

See below for a pic of a USB printer switch:

You just press whatever switch you want to be connected.
Does anything like this exist for ethernet?

Thanks.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Network-Ethe...words=ethernet+switcher&qid=1617884551&sr=8-6

You can try it and return it if it doesn't work. But with all the potential issues with using such a device, to me it's not worth the headache as a small Ethernet switch is stupid cheap.

Also keep in mind, USB was designed to be a shared bus architecture along with having a 5V power supply built into the spec.

crjdriver

I looked at that link. Unless I am missing something it appears to allow the user to choose between two different networks with a single output to your system.
Again perhaps I did not read it correctly. In any case, I agree that it is not worth the potential problem of not working.

Couriant

James
Power over Ethernet (PoE) is used to provide power to devices like Cisco Phones or access points so there are no need for external power or where there is no power. I haven't seen PoE use in a typical home setup though.

I looked at that link. Unless I am missing something it appears to allow the user to choose between two different networks with a single output to your system.
Again perhaps I did not read it correctly. In any case, I agree that it is not worth the potential problem of not working.
The link says 1 input, 2 outputs, or 2 inputs, 1 output. I would think the latter is what OM is looking for.

I agree with ZX though. It would be more beneficial to get a small 5 port hub. You didn't really say why you need to switch between 2 devices so it's hard to judge what you need/should do

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes. My interpretation is he wants to be able to physically toggle what devices are connecting over an Ethernet connection much the same as a video switcher.

And yes, PoE is an option if powering a switch at the given location is a problem. I have a Netgear and a Linksys 5 port switch being powered from my main "campus" wiring switch being a Dell N3048P. Both of those switches can be powered by a wall wart or through PoE. And as an academic discussion, there are also other switches out there (Netgear has one) where the switch is powered over POE+ which gives it a 30W feed. Then the switch running off of PoE+ can then run as a PoE source to power one or two devices connected to it depending on the switch design and the power draw of said PoE devices.

OM2

Thanks for the replies guys.
That device is what I want!
But... I don't understand that skepticism of it working?

An ordinary ethernet switch is fine.
The problem is power. 🙂

1. I need to have the power on all the time for a switch box. Hence I would prefer something that didn't need power, given the choice.

2. It's to go behind the TV. I have a Powerline Wifi there. I have Amazon fire stick and an Android TV box - this is what it's for. One major problem is: not ANOTHER plug! Already have TV plug, Firestick plug, Android TV plug, DVD player plug, PS4 plug, Nintendo Wii plug + one other device I forget the name of.

Front of the TV looks nice and tidy and serene - behind the TV is a big mess of wires (and that's after me spending 1 hour tidying up).

I don't mind needing to get up and click a switch to switch ethernet.
But no good if it won't work as is suggested?

EDIT: just seen on ebay (from China) 2 port and 4 port models. That'll do me just fine! I'll go for a 4 port one. (Unless someone says something compelling as to why I shouldn't buy!)

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The skepticism is because the physical switching hardware is likely to be cheap and might (I'm guessing will) cause data corruption. Note that the one I linked to has absolutely no Category 5, 5e, 6, etc rating. So it's use at your own risk.

And I don't understand the concern about the power a small switch would draw. It's on the order of a few watts. If you're that concerned and willing to get up to use a mechanical switch, then put the switch on a power strip with an on off switch.

crjdriver

I have a switch that is ON 24/7. They draw so little pw that it is irrelevant.

crjdriver

I just looked it up. A modern 5 port switch uses a max of 2W and a minimum of .3W.

A PoE switch would be a perfect fit for your scenario. PoE – Power over Ethernet, would send both Data and Power on the same Ethernet cable. You won't need a local power supply for the end point (phone, printer, etc). I understand this is for home use, so you can try small PoE switches like the 8-port Flex-8. See link below,

https://www.nvtphybridge.com/portfolio-item/nv-flx-08/

This unit is capable of 10/100 Mbps speed and even has a longer reach than a conventional PoE switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online