1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet to wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 19jss58, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 19jss58

19jss58 Thread Starter

I network an XP box and a 98 box via wired Ethernet. Currently, a DSL connection is shared via a Zoom modem with a built-in router (5651_X4_2_2) connected to a Linksys switch (EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch EZXS55W).

Just bought a laptop with a wireless card installed and want to share Internet connection and files wirelessly as already done via wired Ethenet (between XP box and a 98 box). Laptop features VISTA Home Premium.

Instead of connecting the Laptop to the switch via a patch cable (to share DSL and files), thought maybe there's a type of Ethernet to wireless adapter product that simply plugs into a port on the switch that would in turn transfer a wireless signal to the laptop. Or not?

Thanks in advance.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You can get a wireless router and configure it to be a switch. Connect a straight cable between the Linksys switch and one of the router LAN ports (you could also do without the Linksys since the router likely has additional LAN ports).

In the router setup turn off DHCP on the LAN side. If your Zoom Modem IP address is 10.0.0.1 and your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 (from another of your posts), set your router IP address to some IP address that is on the same subnet but is outside the DHCP range of your Zoom modem, like 10.0.0.200. And set the router subnet mask, DNS server, and gateway the same as the Zoom modem.

3. 19jss58

19jss58 Thread Starter

4. Frank4d

I know it has one LAN port. If you re-read my post, it said to connect a cable between the Linksys switch and a LAN port on a wireless router.

5. nerdincolorado

nerdincolorado

He means the WAN Port on the router...

6. 19jss58

19jss58 Thread Starter

1)The Zoom modem with a built-in router has both a USB and an Ethernet port. My level of expertise isn't to the level of knowing whether the Ethernet port is either Wide Area or Local Area Networking. Stuff gets pretty confusing at times.

2)Given the choice and as they're identically priced, would you guys purchase the Linksys WRT54GL or the WRT54G? Linksys claims that the "L" simply means Linux and that they're the same except that the "L" is more configurable.

Also appears the WRT54G will make the EZXS55W redundant as the WRT54G also acts as a switch.

Thanks.

Think I might be buying a Tech Support Guy mug pretty soon.

7. Frank4d

No. I mean a LAN port on the wireless router, and the instructions in post #2..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/620291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice