1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet to Wireless, is this possible?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nexus 66, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nexus 66

nexus 66 Thread Starter

I've just moved into my Halls at uni in London. We have to use a CAT 5E ethernet cable to connect to a socket in the wall. When we open a web browser we have to enter a username and password to be able to go online. I was wondering if there is any bit of Hardware which i could plug into the ethernet wall socket which would then broadcast that ethernet connection as wireless and if so if it is possible to protect the connection so others cant use the WIFI.

thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That probably means that they want to restrict usage to one computer per connection and do not want wireless networks set up. So, please check with the IT department before doing anything, as it's not very hard for them to detect violations.

On the assumption that you will not attempt this unless it falls within the rules, you can use a Wireless Access Point (WAP). Use encryption, preferably WPA2-PSK, AES, but at least WPA-PSK, TKIP. Use a passphrase that cannot be guessed and does not include dictionary words.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice