Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethernet to Wireless, is this possible?

863 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I've just moved into my Halls at uni in London. We have to use a CAT 5E ethernet cable to connect to a socket in the wall. When we open a web browser we have to enter a username and password to be able to go online. I was wondering if there is any bit of Hardware which i could plug into the ethernet wall socket which would then broadcast that ethernet connection as wireless and if so if it is possible to protect the connection so others cant use the WIFI.

thanks

#2 ·
When we open a web browser we have to enter a username and password to be able to go online.
That probably means that they want to restrict usage to one computer per connection and do not want wireless networks set up. So, please check with the IT department before doing anything, as it's not very hard for them to detect violations.

On the assumption that you will not attempt this unless it falls within the rules, you can use a Wireless Access Point (WAP). Use encryption, preferably WPA2-PSK, AES, but at least WPA-PSK, TKIP. Use a passphrase that cannot be guessed and does not include dictionary words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.