Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethernet to Wireless - non admin

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  prunejuice 
#1 ·
Hi.
im currently in rented accomodation and the internet is via a wired ethernet cable. i am not admin on the network. but im interested in a quick way to make a small wireless network using the ethernet so i can use wi-fi in my room.

looking for a cheap, simple option.
i have a bt voyager router available to me if that helps?
but i assume there's a small device you can buy that will transmit a short range wireless signal and work as the exchange between me and the network.

thanks!

#2 ·
I think I answered this on another board, you can use your BT Voyager with the following configuration. Not sure why you want to buy something anyway.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc. Note that you should use the same SSID and encryption key for the secondary router but a non-conflicting channel. I recommend channels 1, 6, or 11 for use for the best results.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

#3 ·
What youre saying to do doesnt really make sense to me - sorry.
here's what ive done so far.

Connected router to ethernet.
router says it has an internet connection and the connection is visible when i click on "available networks"
but i cant connect because "the settings saved on this computer for this network do not match the requirements of the network"

??help?
additional info:
router has 1x ethernet and 1x usb port and 1x DSL port

available to me i have a DSL wall port (phone running out of it)
and ethernet wall port.

#5 ·
Your "DSL wall port" will only support DSL if you buy a DSL account.

You need to reset the router to factory defaults, then connect to it with an Ethernet connection and configure the wireless and disable the DHCP server.

#6 ·
but i cant connect because "the settings saved on this computer for this network do not match the requirements of the network"

Means you did not configure the computer with the correct security (WEP or WPA with TKIP or AES) and/or password is incorrect.

Make things easier on yourself, remove the network from your computer and rejoin it. Since you did not specify your OS, I can't guide you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.