1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Troubleshooting on a Linksys Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wally_99, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wally_99

Wally_99 Thread Starter

Friends -

I am a comcast cablemodem subscriber, and recently upgraded some of my hardware, including a new Motorola modem, which is working fine, and a new Linksys Wireless Router, which doesn't seem to be working fine. The Linksys is talking to two wireless laptops and three desktops, all running Windows XP with SP2 and up to date on all security & patches.

The wireless laptops have no trouble with internet access through the new router, however, two of my three desktops which are connected to the router via standard 10-base-T ethernet cable are having sporadic internet connectivity. The desktop through which the router was installed never has any difficulty with its internet connection. Swapping the cables among the 4 ports on the router doesn't make any difference. All of the default settings were taken with the router's installation (no domain/host indicated), and DHCP for assignment of IP/DNS addresses. Installation was successful. All three of the desktops show a live connection to the LAN at 100 Mbs, even when the two affected desktops can't access the internet. The phenomenon is the same for Netscape, Mozilla, and IE browsers. The TC/PIP settings on each of the desktops are set for "auto" when obtaining the IP and DNS addresses. Comcast will not provide a static IP address to use for the DNS setting, and says that their policy is to use DHCP to assign the addresses. Linksys has been unhelpful.

The cables and ethernet cards are all brand new. Hardware drivers are up to date. If I reinstall the router, all three desktops (temporarily) have a successful internet connection. Don't know if this matters, but the lack of an internet connection phenomenon always seems to happen after one or both of the two affected desktops come out of a hibernation period. When I run ipconfig from the DOS command line for any of the three desktops, no DNS address is indicated, however the IP Address, Default Gateway, and Subnet Mask settings are fine. The IP addresses being assigned by the router to the three desktops are 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, and 192.168.1.102. "Ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew" doesn't help, nor does trying to repair the LAN connection from the network icon of the control panel. Rebooting the computers doesn't help, nor does powering down and powering up the modem and/or the router. I'm about at my wits end with this nonsense. Can anyone offer any other suggestions short of returning the router and getting another brand? I have not upgraded the firmware on the router, as it does not appear to correct any issues such as the one I'm describing. Should I try installing the router from one of the other desktops and see what happens? Something else maybe?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Dan

2. gurutech

gurutech

Make sure your Linksys router has the latest firmware. You can update it from www.linksys.com

3. Wally_99

Wally_99 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply - I upgraded the firmware, and it didn't do any good. Through some more troubleshooting, I'm pretty convinced that it is a DNS server issue. I achieved partial success buy reconfiguring the router and hardcoding a known DNS server address from a previous ISP rather than letting the DHCP protocol assign the DNS server automatically. After ipconfig release and renews, all three of my desktops worked fine with their internet connections, but this morning after coming out of hibernation for the night, the two desktops that had been giving me problems were back on the fritz with their internet connections again. Re-booting brought their connections back. Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/512615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice