1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet vs. Fast Access

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by R D S, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. R D S

R D S Thread Starter

:eek: Got a new Dell XPS410 with a lot of bells and whistles and I have DSL. A friend says that if I don't have an Ethernet card/port then I will need to have a fast access port. What is the difference and what is a fast access port? I'm really a novice at this stuff. I know just enough to get myself in deep..... uh trouble. :confused: R D S

2. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

Network: Integrated Gigabit7 Ethernet
    Integrated 10/100/1000 network interface.... this is from dell's website. i suggest u read up on it lmao :D

3. R D S

R D S Thread Starter

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Thanks

4. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

that's half the fun of getting a new computer, the learning, but never hurts 2 ask ?'s either. i'm sure somebody will come along with a better answer 2 ur query than mine lol.

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

I seriously doubt that your new Dell XPS410 does not already have an Ethernet port.

Any recent Ethernet port is going to be at least 100Mbps, and that is much faster than any DSL connection.

Your friend is not wrong, but he is cautioning you about something that is unlikely to be a problem at all.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I wonder what this "fast access" port is? ;)

7. R D S

R D S Thread Starter

ChuckE & JohnWill
    Thanks a lot. I was hoping that I already had what I needed without having to add more. I think the "network" plug is the "ethernet" connection I need (I hope). From what I read it appears to be. And BTW I don't know what a fast access port is either.:confused: Thanks everyone for your input.
    RDS;) (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/585784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice