1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet -vs- Wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by foufymaus, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foufymaus

foufymaus Thread Starter

Hey all im new here, and this is my first post.
    First of all I have a DSL connection through my provider. I then have a NetGear FM114P wireless firewall/print server (router ) attached to the modem.

My computer is currently hardwired through the ethernet port in the FM114P router with two other computers connecting by WiFi.

What i was thinking, was loosing the ethernet cord and turning this computer in to a wireless connection like the other two, but if i do will i loose speed? This computer currently gets between 700-950 kbps., depending on traffic.

thanks
    mausie
    AKA foufymaus

2. Sponsor

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

what are the wireless speeds?

go to some test sites and compare, you'll find what you're asking for.

4. foufymaus

foufymaus Thread Starter

thanks.
    :D

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you're welcome.

today i ran the same test you speak of, wireless vs. ethernet with the same 10m dl.
    check out your own stats, in busy/non-busy times, which is better than the test sites.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You don't lose anything for Internet access, assuming that's the only wireless machine connected at the time. If you have all three machines connected, especially using 802.11b, your throughput to an individual machine may well be less than the Internet bandwidth. I'm assuming something like file sharing traffic from the other machines...

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

johnwill,

if you're not sharing files how will 3-4 machines work in the 11b arena router/ap for internet compared to a hardwired router with 3-4 on cable?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The hardwired cable will almost always be faster, due to several factors.

The real throughput of 802.11b is around 5-6mbit, and for 802.11g, in the 20-25mbit range. In addition, WiFi is half duplex and the bandwidth is shared with all the stations connected.

For my situation with a 3mbit Internet connection, running three 802.11b stations all accessing the Internet, I'm sure I'd see serious degradation in the speed when compared to cable connections. WIth multiple connections on WiFi, you get less than half the bandwidth, due to the switching overhead. I've only ever had two 802.11b connections at one time on my network, and the difference between wired access and wireless was significant. This was with both machines within 15 feet of the router in the same room.

9. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

thanks.

the laptop, wap, wi-fi cards i got at work, run thru the hardwired router/wap at home and as slick as the laptop is all around the house, in/out, i don't want to give up the speed for the sake of losing the wires.

i appreciate your comments.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/292171