1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Ethernet Wall Ports Not Working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by weikai27, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weikai27

weikai27 Thread Starter

hey guys,

My laptop connects to ethernet on the first floor wall port but in every other port it doesn't work. This is a residential network so it doesn't make sense for it to be a security issue.

I believe the IT guy who installed the switches never connected to the other ports in the house.

What is the solution to this?

I noticed only 2 coaxial cables were screwed in but a whole bunch that weren't and just sitting there. does that mean I need to find out which one goes to which wall port?

any help on this would be great.

Attached Files:

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You didn't provide enough pictures. What is that vertical black box next to the Arris modem?

Need a picture of the front of the rack. You only took a picture of a small portion of the back of the rack. I see a patch panel which I have no idea what is connected to those ports if anything. A picture of the front of the rack would answer that question.

Are you the homeowner? Why was something such as this installed as this is not your typical home residential installation?

3. weikai27

weikai27 Thread Starter

the vertical black box is for wifi.

my brother is the homeowner. I just moved back and am trying to set up the remaining ethernet ports.

this was installed before the home was purchased. it is where the home audio system is also set up.

Attached Files:

4. zx10guy

Ok. Then I need a picture from the back of the cabinet. I'm interested to see what is plugged into the patch panel which in the pictures is where those yellow cables are terminated in to.

5. weikai27

weikai27 Thread Starter

here are the pictures from the back. thanks for the help

Attached Files:

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    On the patch panel there's illegible writing on some labels. I suspect that those are where the other rooms are connected. Because you only see 3 connections there. You'll need to test them individually using a patch cable going from the panel to the switch/router. If you don't have enough open ports you'll need to buy a switch with more connections. But for now you caan just test by unplugging the working one from the switch/router and test each of the others individually.

7. zx10guy

So it's confirmed that patch panel with the white labels and hand written writing is where each of the drops in the home is terminated. While some of the writing is illegible, there are some that are clear about which rooms they go to. On one of the pictures there is MBR written above the port which means master bedroom. I see other ports labeled with family and media. So I assume those are for the family room and some media room or media wall unit.

There appears to be some patch cords already connected to the patch panel but it's hard to tell where the other end of those cables are connected if they are connected to something. You have a DLink 5 port switch in one of your pictures which appears to have 4 active devices connected to it.

To provide network connectivity to the wall jacks you need, you have to verify where those ports are in relation to where they're terminated on that patch panel. Your wireless router has some available LAN ports. You can connect a patch cord from the patch panel to an available port on the wireless router.

weikai27 likes this.
  8. weikai27

weikai27 Thread Starter

got it working. thanks guys! much obliged.

9. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You're welcome to what little assistance I provided. Fact is that zx10guy did most of the work.

Glad you got it working though.

weikai27 likes this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice