1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet works at home, but not at work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by seabromd, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seabromd

seabromd Thread Starter

Hey,
    I have an Aspire One netbook that I use that connects with ethernet lan at home no problem. At work it still says it's connected "excellent" but I get no internet service.

The only difference this amateur has noticed is that an "Internet Gateway" icon opens at home, that doesn't here (in Network Connections).

All my friends use hte net on their laptops just fine. is there anything I can check? Any way to know if my computer is blocking the connection?

Thanks in advance

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is your work network a domain or a simple workgroup? What is the exact version of Windows you use?

3. seabromd

seabromd Thread Starter

Well, work is a really big region and all I know is we have modems at each of our bases (I'm a paramedic) that we can plug ethernet cables into if we want to. Sorry I can't be of more use on that :S I know the IP addresses all start with 172 if that helps anything.

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, SP3.

Also, for what it's worth, I did a ping of www.google.com today and it told me everything sent was received with a 130 ms average. so, from what I can tell, info can travel back and forth.

4. JohnWill

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output! Do NOT type <computer_IP_address> into the command, that won't work.

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. seabromd

seabromd Thread Starter

Typed in cause I don't have access to a key, disk, or anything here at work :p

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Michael
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP routing Enabled . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled . . . . . .: No
    DNS suffix Search List . . . . .: region.peel

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : region.peel
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
    Physical Address . . . . . . . . . . . .: 00-23-5A-4B-1E
    DHCP enabled . . . . . . . . .. . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :172.21.4.83
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 255.255.255.248
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.4.81
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.4.81
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.17.17.4
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .: August 30, 2009 10:41:10 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : September 2, 2009 10:41:10 AM

(2nd Request)
    Pinging 172.21.4.83 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 172.21.4.83: bytes = 32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 172.21.4.83:
    Packets: sent = 4, received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% Lost)
    Approximate rond trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0 ms, Maximum = 0 ms, Average = 0ms

(3r Request) Ping Default Gateway

Ping 172.21.4.81 with 32 Bytes of Data:

Exact same as 2nd Request but with 172.21.4.81 and TTL=254

(4th request) Ping DNS Servers

Same as the 2nd, but with 172.17.17.4, TTL = 125, and Min was 33ms, Max was 129 ms, average = 67 ms.

(5th Request) Ping 206.190.60.37

Same as 2nd again, but with 206.190.60.37, TTL = 53, Min = 62ms, Max = 85ms, Average = 72ms.

(6th request) Ping yahoo.com

Same as 2nd, but with yahoo.com / 209.191.93.53, TTL = 51, Min = 106 ms, Max = 132ms, Average = 124 ms.

Sorry for the funky format. Does that tell you anything?

6. JohnWill

I see that you have a good connection to the Internet. You have some sort of firewall or other Internet security package blocking you if you can't browse.

7. seabromd

seabromd Thread Starter

Yes, I've sort of gathered that that's the case. Is there any way to figure out what it is that's blocking? Is there a test I can do? Or are there common things/checked items, etc. that can get in the way easily?

Thank for looking over everything so far.

8. JohnWill

I'd try a wired connection, and if that still fails, boot in Safe Mode with Networking and see if a wired connection works in that configuration.

9. seabromd

seabromd Thread Starter

Ya, actually, it was the wired connection that was the issue originally... but now somehow I've mucked up the wireless one too... I'll try this safe mode networking thing though . But is that a permanent solution?

Any other tests I can run? Any common problems?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What non-Windows firewall or security suite is on the machine? Or used to be on the machine and may have left a remnant behind?

11. JohnWill

Safe Mode is not a permanent solution, just a diagnostic aid to see if we can zero in on the issue. :)

12. seabromd

seabromd Thread Starter

Well, it seems I don't know how to do this "safe mode with networking" thing. What do you click on?

13. JohnWill

When the BIOS is doing the POST (before Windows starts to boot), tap the F8 key a few times. You'll get a menu of recovery options, Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking are two of the options.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/856758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice