1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alwrmc, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    In Control Panel/Device manager I have these entries. My Comcast broadband is currently working correctly. Why do I have two Realtek entries and why is one of them shown with the Red X? Should I remove it, disable it, enable it, update driver? All of these are options. Or, should I leave it alone, take a shower and get ready to drive to work?

Attached Files:

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

Looking at the red X through the 8110 says it is either disabled or does not have drivers installed. Are you using the built-in lan or is there a separate card installed? Were the mobo drivers installed?

3. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

I had a similar issue, it turns out my drivers werent installed. Your ethernet drivers should be on your motherboard disk or some sort of disk that came with your motherboard.

4. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    As I said my Comcast Broadband is working ok, so the other Realtek is installed and that is apparently ok. I guess I will just try installing the drivers from the MB CD and hope that having two cards will not create a problem. I was just wondering if I should disable it, or enable it.

5. 4steve44

4steve44

If it ain't broke don't fix it! :eek: ;)

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Somehow it looks like you have the same one twice and one is working?? :confused:

I wouldn't mess with it. I have one that is for a firewire modem and that is what I thought you had at first.You might try uninstalling them in device manager and rebooting but like they say if it ain't broke...................

7. 4steve44

4steve44

Ahhh Great Minds....... ;)

8. *PostMaster*

*PostMaster*

This can happen when you install older drivers that work ok but, I guessing here Window SP2 install new or you might have done it installing a disk that came with the network adaptor.

What I would do is just uninstall/remove the number two 1394 unless you have two of them. and the last the but what puzzels me is the number 2 on the third, if the last is the first adapter that is assigned to that device then something happen and something was done for the second to be installed and you don't need both unless you have two, like one on a PCI or one on the mother board. Hmmm I guess if it isn't broken why fix it as well :D

9. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    There is an onboard NIC and the one I moved over when I changed MB/CPU/Memory. I think the "Gigabyte" is the onboard NIC. Perhaps I'll remove the older card and leave the onboard. It's likely newer and better anyway. Thanks and if it doesn't work, well...as Arnold said, "Ahll be bauck".

10. SacsTC

SacsTC

Yes, the Gigabit with the red x is the onboard. The one you are using is the one you installed when you moved your cards over. XP probably had a built in driver and automatically installed it. You should always install the drivers that come with a new mainboard as they may contain a mobo driver that the OS does not include. If you are happy with it the way it is, just go into the bios and disable the onboard NIC.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice