1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

eTrust EZ Antivirus Update Problem

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Alwill, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alwill

Alwill Thread Starter

A number of users of this program including myself, have been experiencing problems since yesterday in downloading virus signatures updates using the AutoDownload feature. Although the update number appears in the AutoDownload window a message immediately follows stating "Unspecified error in downloading update"

I post this message so that others who may also be having trouble can put their concerns to rest as it is obviously a Computer Associates server glitch.

I and others have emailed CA notifying them of the hiccup and if any other users would like to take the same course of action the relevant email address is [email protected]

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi-- Got the first sign of this today on one of our pc's- About a week prior to this, I got a notice popup that E-trust AV needed to be re-subscribed, but the one year is not due till March '03. Or, was it only 10 months?? I think I will check this out at the website... the unspecified error is the same as everyone else is seeing.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I don't get any error messages when I run the update process but I haven't gotten any updates for three days which isn't normal. I suspect they're having problems.

BTW, the renewal term is 1 year.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hmm- Looks like they want users of versions 5.3 and 5.4 to download the newer version program....so, servers may be busy with downloads. Version 6 is free if you are current subscriber.
    I have logged in correctly at the site, my account info shows as paid till 03/03/2003. Will try updates to 5.4.2.0, my version now, later tonite and see what happens.

5. Alwill

Alwill Thread Starter

The signature update files can be downloaded manually from http://www.my-etrust.com/products/virUpdates/Antivirus but necessitates logging in first.

Be careful before installing Version 6 of the program; if it's the same version as has been available for some time, it plays havoc with Win 98 & ME machines but is reported to work OK on W2k & XP rigs. CA has been testing V6.1 which is supposed to be 98 & ME compatible but to my knowledge it has not yet become available.

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

Ver 6.1.0 is now available from eTrust. It's for all O/S platforms and it's been revamped to look like the old 5.xx interface. Ver 6.0 did play havoc with Win98 and I suspect it played a little with XP also. Seems CA has gone back to what worked before ver6.0. While the interface looks like the old InoculateIT, there are new features throughout the program. They did cheapen (IMO) the systray icon though. Kind of cheesy.

7. Alwill

Alwill Thread Starter

Thanks Emtronics for the info re availability of V6.1. Have you experienced any problems since installing it and what OS are you running?.

CA is not doing anything that I am aware of to advertise its availability so could you provide a download link, please.

8. Alwill

Alwill Thread Starter

Emtronics, except for the 'thank you' forget my previous post.

I located and downloaded V6.1.0.24 but have not installed it as yet.

Its size (3.71MB) has me somewhat intigued when compared against V5.4.2.0 (4.11MB) which I have at the moment and V6.0.1.125 (7.25MB) which was the one which gave all the problems for W98 & ME. I guess the size of the latter might be attributable to the fact that it was apparently designed for the XP os.

Would appreciate your overall opinion of 6.1 and whether the changes that have been made have improved the program.

9. Emtronics

Emtronics

I have installed eTrust 6.1.0 on all my systems up from the ver. 6.0. The download is only about 3.71mgs as compared to the 7.5 for ver.6.0. I have always believed that 6 had problems especially in Win98. I suspect it also had some problems with XP. I contacted CA's tech support and was told they had no complaints about ver 6. Yet, a real stable Win98 machine of mine started "blue screening" and became unstable in all programs. The only change was the upgrade of eTrust from 5.4 to 6. I refused to upgrade other Win98 systems to 6 after that,

The install or upgrade is different also. Download the .exe file (3.71mgs) and run it without removing the old version. It installs and removes the old version and automatically installs your license key. After it installs, it goes for the newest macro, then, without warning, the whole eTrust program opens and begins a whole system scan. After the scan is complete, eTrust wants to restart the computer.

The interface is much like the old 5.x interface right down to the auto update feature. It seems that CA might have went back to what worked and dumped the 6 interface. I heard rumors the ver 6 sometimes failed to catch some worms even when updated. On my install or upgrade on my main XP Home machine, the scan caught a mimeKlez dropper in the TIF. My version 6 was up to date and it's scan didn't see that. I wish that CA would at least send out a notice explaining what is happening to all it's licensed customers instead of us relying on rumor and heresay.

At any rate, the new 6.1.0.24 version seems to be stable so far. To new to really get a grasp on what's to come. Knowing and using CA's products over the years, I find their software really excellent and trust ver 6 was just a screw up and they seem to have fixed it with 6.1.0.

10. Alwill

Alwill Thread Starter

Thank you Emtronics for all the information that you have gone to the trouble to provide; really appreciated.

Before your last post, I jumped in and downloaded 6.1 but uninstalled 5.4 first (a very clean job). When I then installed 6.1 I had to provide my Licence Key/Serial No. (no big deal)

Like you, I have had no trouble whatsoever with the new version and can find little difference in the interface and settings between it and 5.4--- except of course for the stupid icon.

One thing though, it would seem CA hasn't quite caught up with all the support infrastructure for 6.1.

Received email notification from them a little while ago advising of the availability of Virus Signature Updates V2372 for 5.3 & 5.4 and V4382 for 6.0---- not a mention of 6.1. Went and used the AutoDownload only to be told my current virus data files (V4379) are up to date. So we'll just have to remember to check the AutoDownload regularly until CA sorts things out.

11. Emtronics

Emtronics

Alwill No problem. I too, am baffled by all this. As I post this I just downloaded 4379. I use the auto update and have it check every other day at 2:15am. I forced it to download to see if I too, could get 4379. I am glad to see that the auto download box still hangs for a few seconds just like the old 5.4. That was fixed in ver6.0. Still, this doesn't look like progress. It looks like a roll back with a slightly different face plate.

12. Alwill

Alwill Thread Starter

I fear you may be correct; noticed the hang-up of the download box myself which was something I hoped would be corrected.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!