1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Evaluate my hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by genubi, Nov 25, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. genubi

genubi Thread Starter

Is it time for a hardware upgrade? I typically will buy my laptop used on ebay, and I have had great success with this. I get solid equipment for a decent price.
    I dont do gaming, but I do use autocad type software (I am an adjuster and I use Xactimate) and lots of on line software.
    I have been having trouble recently with it slowing down. I have a tread in the Maleware, clean me up forum. But, I was wondering if it might be time to up my game on the hardware. Frankly, I think it is a pretty robust unit, but, time does seem to "step" on it.
    Your thoughts on my specs please.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3437U CPU @ 1.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8095 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -2016 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (45 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0V80FM
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If it's been plenty fast enough until recently, it's likely not a hardware issue.

Performance wise, it may be time for a fresh OS install. Depending on how long since your last install and especially if you've had a lot of software installed and removed over that time.

You can use Task Manager to watch your RAM usage over a couple of days and note how much RAM is generally in use. If you are getting close to or using all of the RAM, a RAM upgrade (if possible) would be beneficial.

Also, the SSD, while not full, could be upgraded. Typical rule of thumb for SSD's is to not use more than 75%.

3. replay

replay

What makes you think he has a ssd??
    Did I miss something?

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

It looks to me like he made and educated guess based on the size of the C drive. A 240 GB is a common size of a SSD and not a HDD.

5. replay

replay

Doubt if I 240 gig would show as 237 gb

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing it's a Dell Latitude 6430u 14" laptop.
    I'm guessing it's a 256 GB SSD.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. genubi

genubi Thread Starter

Flavallee, you nailed it! And, it is a 256 GB SSD!
    So, I have not done a reinstall since I got it used preloaded two years ago.
    I have always been worried about trying to do a reinstall with the free windows 10. I am sure there is a way, but I have not googled it to figure it out.
    I use to do a fresh reinstall at least every two years, whether it needed it or not. But, I had all the software on CDs.
    I dont have any of it for this little workhorse, that I love. The only thing I would want different would be to have a touch screen.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Type winver in the search box on the left side of the taskbar, then press the "Enter" key.
    A small window will appear.
    What is the exact "Version" and "OS Build" numbers listed there?

Capture.JPG

That's a decent performing processor for a consumer level laptop.
    However, it may not be up to snuff to run AutoCAD - which is a system hungry app.

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. genubi

genubi Thread Starter

Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.864)

10. genubi

genubi Thread Starter

It is a sweet little unit!
    The software I run is an Insurance industry standard called Xactimate, Version 28. It is like AutoCAD, but I dont think its as intense. We use it to sketch building structures and it has pricing for everything and anything used in reconstruction of a building structure.

I can dump stuff off of my harddrive to give it some more breathing room.

11. genubi

genubi Thread Starter

At the risk of sounding stupid, how do I monitor my ram usage? Would Memory be the Ram?

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 10 in your laptop is outdated by 2 bi-annual updates.

The current one is Version 1909 OS Build 18363.476

---------------------------------------------------------------

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice