1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Even Con+Alt+Del won't work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by robert.bev, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robert.bev

robert.bev Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Hi All
    I have a prob. A few weeks ago I unintentially formatted my HDD and after putting everything back I put on Internet Explorer 8, which made my PC so slow that I had to get rid of it, now back with IE 6 the PC is back to speed, unfortunately the PC is now freezing, and any tabs I have open will not close as Con+Alt+Del will not work, so I have to reboot and loose any text that I might be writing at the time.
    This morning for the first time I had the blue screen with white text saying Memory Dump, press F8 to start in safe mode etc etc, after rebooting twice the PC started.
    80Gb HDD > 1536 installed memory > 256Kb sec mem cach > 2.8 Intell Cel chip.
    Can anybody help sort me out? regards Robert.

2. lehatche

lehatche

Sounds like when you removed IE8 you might have damaged the OS. Since it hasn't been that long why not save what you can, then reinstall OS. This might be the fastest and least problimatic.

3. robert.bev

First Name:
    Robert
    Many thanks for your thoughts; I'll have a look at the OS.
    Since I posted the PC is going more and more unstable, as when I hover over a PDF file the PC monitor flickers and goes black, then the picture comes back in stages as the boxes rebuild, this can happen two or three times before the PC picture stabilizes.
    I have uninstalled my PDF reader ( Fox it ) to prove it, (and a few toolbars) it's a bit early to tell yet, and so I will watch what is going on over the next day or two.
    In the meantime I will be grateful for any ideas to work on.
    I will report back later but if I go off line for a long period it's not that I have lost interest, it will be because the PC is letting me down, and if that happens I will report back as soon as I am able.
    Regards Robert.

4. robert.bev

First Name:
    Robert
    Hi Again
    I made a little progress, I have taken off the last 4 progs that I had installed off the PC over the last few weeks, and after pressing F8 I took the PC back to "Last Known Good Configuration"
    I used the PC all day with very good speed and stability, until I needed to open a PDF file, so as I had uninstalled my PDF reader I put back Fox-it PDF reader.
    Unfortunately when I hovered over the file icon the PC crashed, the monitor started to flash and the screen went black this went on for about 30secs until the boxes rebuilt one by one and the picture returned.

I uninstalled Fox-it and did a reg clean, then installed Adobe reader 9.3, unfortunately this is the same, and as soon as the cursor arrow hovers onto the PDF Icon the screen goes black, and flashes then goes black then continues to flash until the boxes start to rebuild the picture, the cursor arrow is returned to the centre of the screen.
    Has anybody any ideas?
    Regards Robert.

5. robert.bev

First Name:
    Robert
    UPDATE 2, I now think that something is breaking down, and it's possibly something to do with PDF files, as when I hover on a file icon the PC screen goes black and the screen flashes for 30 sec's or so, if I click in the file between flashes the file will eventually open, it is quite stable and I can view the file.

This behaviour also happens if I have Internet Explorer open, and I click on the Outlook Express icon, the screen goes black and flashes for a while and then the program opens up and runs ok.

I will be glad of any ideas, many thanks Robert.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!