1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Event 7026: The following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load: Amdk7

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rbeaufor, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

Briefly:
    My old system hasn't been powered on for about a year. Problem was the onboard video failed (I think)

Recently replaced it with a video card from another system (riva TNT) and bought some memory (system wouldn't boot, determined that the memory was bad)

Now the system booted but win2K wouldn't work. No problem I have XP now...

After multiple error during the xp install I finally got through it...only the computer will only boot in safe mode..

Initially thought it was a hardare conflict so I booted in safe mode with networking and systematically cleared all the yellow ??? in device manager

Still will not boot normally

Checked event log got the following error:

Event 7026: The following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load:

Amdk7
    fips

Searched the net found a M$ support about it

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306458

couldn't find amdk7.sys but managed to update the driver over the net, now its there...yet I get the same error

I did the regedit described but no folder called "parameters"

Made one....didn't work....deleted the value
    added the key to my available folder....didn't work

I'm at wits end....I've been working on this (off and on) for a month

Can anyone help with this one?????

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Exactly where did you get the driver/patch from and how did you install it?

I would expect that if the install completed correctly you would have this in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\AmdK7\Parameters

You say the "parameters" key wasn't there? Howabout AMDK7?

Is amdk7.sys in c:\windows\system32\drivers?

Search the entire HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System key for

amdk7.sys

If you are getting an error message on startup, there has to be a registry call for it some place -- perhaps pointing to a location where it is not.

From the looks of this, it should be included in XP SP2:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318891/EN-US/

If SP2 is installed, you can try removing and reinstalling it. If it is not installed -- get the CD and install it, or burn it to a CD.

3. Mitek

Mitek

Are there any internal USB devices attached to the mainboard such as an internal card reader?

It could be after all this, the mainboard was actually the problem as opposed to the ram and video card. The errors during the install was a giveaway on that.

By the way, just last week we had a similar problem reloading an older pc and it was the cd rom that was causing all of the issues. Once we replaced that the system worked flawlessly. I should state the system acted normal other than cant find file error (abort retry ignore) several times during the XP install. After finally getting through the install it too would only boot in safe mode.

We found , quite by accident actually, (we had disconnected the ribbon and power cable to the cd rom to exchange some ram and forgot to reconnect them) it ran perfectly with the cd rom disconnected. We swapped out the cd rom and all was well.

Weird huh? Never had seen that one before and I have been doing this a long, long time.

Mike at Mitek

4. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

Thanks for looking into this guys....

Rollin'
    Conc erning the amdk7 patch, I went into device manager/processors AMD athlon 4 ( i don't remember it saying that before the patch). I did right click/properties/update driver/...search for driver... None of my disks had it but it connected to the web and downloaded it....

Concerning the registry, there was a key for AMDk7 under which was <security> and <enum> no parameters.

I added the folder parameters and added the key hackfiles as instructed....PC wouldn't boot at all - kept rebooting after the splash screen.

I then deleted this folder and added the HAckfiles key to Enum. No help but PC would boot to safe mode

I then added the key to the AMDk7 folder ...PC would boot to safe mode, but no help with normal boot.

Last night I deleted the hackfiles key altogether....interestingly, I can now boot normally to the login screen now, but I get a stop code after that. Trying to figure out how to read the memory.dmp and I'll post that error...

Amdk7.sys IS in the c:\windows\sys32\drivers folder
    It is also in the following keys
    HKLM\System\CS001\AMDk7 key
    HKLM\System\CS003\AMDk7 key
    HKLM\System\CCS\AMDk7 key

and the eventmessagefile for each of those keys

BTW, I installed SP2 prior to updating the processor driver and felt that it wasn't there as I got the same event logs.....notably, I still find the same event logs.....

Mitek,

No internal USB connection to my knowledge. Also, when I go back inside the machine, I'll check to ensure the CDROM is connected.

THanks guys!

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

This would be the relevant key.

HKLM\System\CCS

It is the mirror of the active key. One of the others is the active key, the other either a "last known" or "failed" boot key. For what it's worth these are identified in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select

Are you saying that you don't have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\AmdK7

under "services"?

The Amdk7 key should theoretically have an entry for "image path" which points to

\SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\Amdk7.sys

Unfortunately though Windows provided my non AMD system with the driver, I have no AMD keys in CCS at all.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can read the memory dump for you. Navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the file(s) to a NEW folder. Then close the folder and right click on it and select Compress to (filename).zip

Upload that as an attachment.

Or if you would like to learn how to do this yourself:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/explorer-crashes.html

Install BOTH the Microsoft Debugging tools, and Debugwiz.

While you can debug without debugwiz, the routine is alot more complicated, and configuring the "symbols" path is rather tricky.

7. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

The stop code follows:

0x0000008E (0xc000001D, 0xF7276EED, 0xF7c24c2c,0x00000000)
    cmuda.sys - Adress F7276EED base at F71D8000, DateStamp 43a105d7

I'll also post the memory.dmp for you once I get back home.
    I'll recheck the registry once I get there as well

Thanks for lookin into it.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A quick google look seems to show this as a C-media Sound card driver.

Looks like you might want to reinstall those.

But just a question: are you using an installed sound card, or using an integrated chip, or have you installed a card without disabling the onboard chip?

9. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

I am using a sound card and (I think) I disabled the onboard sound.

Now that I think about it, though, I may not have disabled the onboard sound so that will be the first thing I check when I get another moment.

I'm not at home right now, but I looked briefly at the stop code last night. I tried disabling the sound in the Device manager and It booted past that point but hung soon thereafter. I'll have to check the log to see what the next error is.

Thanks for your continued help...

10. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

looks like I didn't disable on board sound....

So I uninstalled ALL sound devices in the device mgr and I disabled on board sound in the BIOS, tried to boot regularly and I hung AFTER the login screen again.

Booted in Safe mode again with networking. It found new hardware and installed the drivers for the sound card from C"\windows\sys32\drivers.

Rebooted regularly and hung again after the login screen. Interestingly the event log manager didn't show an error at the time I booted. I get the usual ones about some program that cannot run in safe mode but that was it. I still get the error that AMDk7 and Fips failed to load although I'm not completely convinced this is where my problem is. The timing of this error in the event log wasn't the time I booted normally....

I'm at a loss....

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Let's put aside the amdky.sys error for now -- which doesn't seem like it should be causeing a hang at the logon screen.

Hangs here are typically related to networking configurations, or applications which load at "winlogon".

If you run eventvwr.msc and look at the applications log -- typically you should see no entry for winlogon there, unless something unusual is happening. Try selecting View > Filter > Source and filter for winlogon. Anything turn up?

You should try reseating any installed cards -- as this could be an issue of the system was collecting dust for a year.

Maybe a HijackThis scanlog will shed some light, can you post one?

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/448950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice