1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Event ID 20 Print Warnings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adcmarti, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adcmarti

adcmarti Thread Starter

Here is the situation:

I have a Server 2003 SP 2 DC acting as a print server. It seems to be causing our XP SP2 clients to produce an event ID 20 print warning everytime they try to print as if the driver has changed even though it has not. Any ideas on this? This is causing things to be slow due to increased bandwith usage. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. adcmarti

adcmarti Thread Starter

Any ideas?

3. FridayChild

FridayChild

I've got the exact same situation, except that the print server is a Windows 2003 SP1 domain controller.
    I'm puzzled because there is no useful info on the Internet, and according to the Microsoft white papers about Point and Print, this is not the default behaviour (drivers should be dowloaded to clients only if they are more recent or different than the ones already installed locally).
    And yet this seems to be the default behaviour, since other colleagues have the same issue as well in other sites.
    I can't believe there is not an answer to this, let's hope someone like me notices this thread too but comes up with an answer....
    BUT...
    there IS a workaround.
    You might notice that this issue does not occur (and printing operations are faster) if the user is configured locally as a limited user (i.e. he is NOT a local administrator or power user).
    That is because power users have the right to manage printers by default. That goes for shared printers too (and in facts you will notice that power users and administrators CAN mess with the shared printer properties, which is not good anyway).
    Since all my domain users are configured as power users on their local machines (someone thinks it's bad practice; maybe they're right.... I'll have to think about it), my only choice was to apply a group policy as follows: Computer Management - Security Policy - Peripherals: don't let users install printer drivers.
    This way, the power users will not be able to install a local printer (an administrator will be required for that) but they will still be able to connect to share printers.
    They will NOT be able to alter the shared printer properties and the drivers will NOT be downloaded to the client every time anymore.
    That will do for me for now (I'm glad to be the only one, as admin, to be entitled to install and manage printers anyway), but that still sounds like a Windows bug to me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!