1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Event ID 333 on Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TechGuy, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    A custom is receiving a ton of these errors in their System Event Log. After rebooting, everything seems fine for about half an hour, and then there are hundreds of these. It's a brand new server, but I tested the RAM and hard drive anyway. Everything comes up fine. Any ideas?

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 333
    Date: 1/11/2007
    Time: 2:44:53 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: SERVER1
    Description:
    An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably. The Registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the Registry.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 6c 00 ......l.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 4d 01 00 c0 ....M..À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 4d 01 00 c0 ....M..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

3. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the quick reply! I had checked that out, and should have mentioned it. Some more hints:

We're not using Symantec antivirus (or any Symantec product), and it's never been on this server. This server uses AVG Network Edition.

Quotas are no longer enabled on any hard drives (although they were).

We are using a far newer version of tcpip.sys than that article recommends, so I think we're OK.

I ran chkdsk, but it didn't find any problems.

We are running SBS with SP1. I have not tried uninstalling SP1 (although it may not be a choice, given that it's a new server).

I think that covers my knowledge so far! ;)

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Since it's a new server I wonder if it's a hardware issue though, one site said it could be a failed motherboard or NIC.

Everything else I saw is pretty much a copy of eventid.org though. Have you been able to try reinstalling SBS (not sure if it has a repair option?) You could also see if it has the same problem in Safe Mode.

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

TechGuy...

This server have a tape backup by any chance?

We had these errors once, when the drive failed...

JMHO...

6. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    No tape drive -- just an external USB hard drive used for backups (Microsoft Backup).

The server has been in production for two months now, so it's got a lot of data. I'm trying to avoid a reformat if possible, especially with some of the industry-specific software they've already got set up on it. I'd also hate to do a reformat only to discover that it's a mobo or some other hardware! I ended up pulling out a piece of RAM (1 of 4 512MB sticks) and disabled the sound device (it was giving weird errors and the server doesn't need to sound anyway) and the errors didn't show up within about 45 minutes, but then I had to run. I'm sure I'll find out early tomorrow if they returned. :)

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...

Let us know...

If they do return, an experiment you might try is to shut down the MS Backup temporarily, and disconnect the external drive, and see if they return...

Just throwing out ideas...

8. cammj

cammj

Actually clicking the link in the event viewer loads up Help and Support, which gives you a more detailed description of the Event ID.

Second. Check http://support.microsoft.com for the event ID. it possibly will give you some KB's which you may find interesting

9. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Hmm, some of the threads I saw about this error specifically mentioned Microsoft Backup. Is there any way you could try it with another drive and copy the data over?

10. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    Clicking the link and searching the KB gave me nothing. Maybe you have some specific links? ;)

11. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    Actually, they have the drives in rotation, but I haven't noticed if the problem only occurs when a particular drive is connected. I'll have to start keeping track of that!

12. hoobuba

hoobuba

I am fighting this error a while now. I started to suspect ntbackup without reading about it. I did fresh reinstal of our SBS2003 SP1 server - now upgraded to R2 but the problem appears after cca 10 days of uptime. As other people mentioned, I tested NIC, memory system disc, raid, I ran Dell diag (it is PowerEdge 800 btw) and no success.
    Tonight I have increased page file size and I will get rid of ntbackup tomorrow.

Thanks for any help this is most helpful forum so far ...

Cheers,

Milos

13. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the input, hoobuba! Please be sure to let us know what you find.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/534339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice